1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS ripping - What's the best way?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by duane13, Apr 1, 2003.

1. duane13

duane13 Guest

Great site and forums, btw! I want to rip some VHS titles that are not available on DVD. I have an ATI AWI, an AMD 1.4, 1GB pc133, ATA 100 and XP. I've tried capture with Virtual Dub and with Winproducer, and I've encoded into Xvid with Virtual Dub real-time or with Vidomi as a second process. I can't use VD to encode as a second process because it errors saying something about "can't open file." OK, the problems: If I try real-time I drop about 10-15% frames if I check "lock audio stream," and the result is jerky. If I capture using huffy then dual-pass encode with Vidomi using the settings someone gave me for DVD ripping the results are excellent but the source rip is about 2GB per 6 minutes - HUGE. If I capture with Winproducer the quality sucks. Suggestions? Info on VHS ripping is scarce.

2. kcblue

kcblue Guest

You don't mention what ATI board you have. I have successfully used the ATI Radeon 7500 and the bundled DigitalVCR software to capture VHS movies to mpeg-2 files, then burned them to disk using a demo of Ulead's MovieFactory2. Haven't tried anything with DivX
    -Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2003