1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VHS to AVI, then VCD...

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Morph416, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

I am using a GeForce 5600/256 with VIVO, and the nVid WDM driver.

No compression is not an option, as the first attempt created from a 30 min vid turned into a 26Gb AVI file, which, unfortunately on a 40G drive I am using temporarily, kills the space.

So, my question is, in Nero Express, I have several options for video/audio compression. What is the best option for quality, and space, and the least amount of hassle converting the AVI to VCD?

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Well, I have tried all of the compression codecs, and the playback quality was extremely poor...almost no video whatsoever. The only one that had the least amount of dropped frames, was the Microsoft RLE codec.

What other software does anyone else use for VIVO?

3. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Since I have Ulead VideoStudio SE installed, I tried that...only to get a huge white bar across the video. Picture a widescreen TV, turn that white, then paste it over a 4:3 format.

This has gone from bad to better, but still no solution...I take it VIVO just isn't the way to go to capture video, or I need a codec that I don't have.

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Found the problem.

Copyright protection on the VHS tape.....oh well.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

40Gigs isn"t even close to enough space for Video capture, I use up to 70gb per hour of Video when I capture to uncompressed AVI and VHS to VCD will Look like Crap Because VCD is a Very Low Quality Format even when useing DVD"s as the Source so from a VHS Tape the quality will Be Awefull and what will make it look even worse is useing Nero to create the VCD so it seems you are going Nowere, But at least you are going there Fast...You should consider getting a Large Dedicated Hard drive for Video Capture or at least Get a Mpeg capture program that will Compress the Video signal to VCD while Captureing But this will still produce Crap but when you are Makeing VCD"s from VHS Crap is what you will get.....well good Luck

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Ulead Visual Studio will capture the signel, and turn it into MPEG format. Uncompressed AVI is ridiculously large in size...

So long as I have the "anti-copy" signel from the VCR/VHS tapes, I cannot copy them to VCD, or DVD format. Only way to bypass, would be to get a dual VCR, or a DVDRW/VHS deck.