1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video and audio to T.V..

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by InNeed, Dec 3, 2003.

1. InNeed

InNeed Member

hello all just got a new system (not the best iom sure) what i wanna do is play any avi s through the puter to my TV is that possible ..thanks all

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Whoa.... a lot more details please. What kind of system? (home theater, computer?) :)

3. InNeed

InNeed Member

well here it goes a dell system 128mb NVidia GeForce 5200 card..umm have 80 gigs of harddrive no dvd yet i do have a cd rw....256 memery_X_X_X_X_X_[small]yall aight wit me[/small]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2003
  4. kenne

kenne Member

I am getting ready to setup a Pc-DVR machine and would like some info also.
    my questions?
    whats the best software to use to set this system up like a TIVO?
    Can I use the onboard sound or do I need to add a sound card?
    NOTE: will be setting it up with a DirectTV or Broadband Cable .. havent decided which one yet
    my system
    MSI KT4 FISR motherboard
    xp2600 CPU
    512 megs PC3200
    120 gig maxtor hardrive
    ATI AIW 9700 pro video card
    Pioneer A04 dvd/r drive

5. smichali

smichali Member

To get video from your computer, you need a TV out card. depending on connection, price, and quality, there's a bunch to choose from.

To make a TIVO, you'll need a video capture card. Hauppauge http://www.hauppauge.com/ makes some really nice ones. Any video capture card will have tivo-like software shipped with it.

As for sound, that all depends on you. Personally, i wasn't happy seeing my videos on my 36" Sony, hearing sound from my computer speakers. So I hooked up the audio out from my computer to my reciever.

6. nyron26

nyron26 Member

Your All in Wonder card has both TV out option (S video i belive) and capture ability. The main difference in the Hauppauge card mentioned is that it does the encoding on the card...with the ATI if will be software based so more stress on processor.

Audio wise...you can use onboard sound and just run audio out into a free input on your receiver or if you can deal with sound on tv use one the corresponding audio input to go with the video from above. Also I have a SONY 32" flat WEGA and I run inputs into that and then use audio out on TV into TV input of receiver then use variable audio control on tv and set receiver volume to loudest level youd want to hear. Then you can control the Stereo volume through TVs volume control on remote...pretty cool.

Software wise...check out MyHTPC at www.myhtpc.net if will take some time to setup and work out the kinks but once you do its sweet.

7. InNeed

InNeed Member

computer type
    -dell 4600
    -NVidia GeForce 5200 card..128 mb
    -256 memery
    what i would like to do is have t v as my computer screen. before i do purchase any thing else needed i would like input on what to get and what is the best process to get there..any help ..appreciated..thanks

8. PHiNX

PHiNX Member

InNeed, there are two possible solutions to your question, of course, one is much more expensive, but well worth it in the end. you can take the svideo out (hope your card has it) and hook it up to your tv, if your tv only has rca inputs, go down to radioshack and pick up a svideo to rca adapter, as for audio, if your computer has optical or spdif output and you have a receiver or tv that has such inputs, its the best way to go, if not, go get a headphone to stereo rca adapter and enough a/v cable to go between your computer and your tv or receiver, another solution to your tv problem is to get a decent tv with DVI or Component (RGB RCA Ports) and hook it up to your comp via those :).

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

InNeed: Something you should be aware of... if yo have ur tv as a screen your resolution will be capped at 800x600 with 60Hz refresh (not to mention a dot pitcb out of this universe) -- can you live with that?

10. InNeed

InNeed Member

thanks..no matter what tv and what connection ..i ll still have that problem...any way around that?

11. dzical

dzical Member

Hauppauge Win-Tv GO
    ATI Radeon 9600 XT
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

I'm running my VCR to my video capture card. My video to my monitor/tv (using the dual mode alt+f5 switches between the two). The problem I'm having is that I can not get sound from the vcr to my pc. Also I can not get sound from the pc to the tv when I switch. I went out and bought the coverters to swich the RCA sized audio jacks to the head phone size to accommodate the sound card inputs. Still no sound coming in or going out. I can still hear sound from the pc when I try and go to the tv just no sound coming from the tv.