1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video capture cards

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by daveleys, Apr 24, 2007.

1. daveleys

daveleys Member

I am wanting to convert vhs to dvd. I have sen sonme basic cards that will allow you to do this but wander whether it is worth spending a bit more to get freeview etc. Has anyone got any recommendations?

2. mrcapdown

mrcapdown Regular member

i think the freeview one would be better as it is digtal so for recording TV on it would be a better pic but it u was JUST doing vhs a cheap one would do fine

3. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

I used and still own a Pinnacle Studio PCI card.
    The quality is superb and the ease of use of both the hardware and software make it a doddle.
    I sold my original one, but ended up buying another as it was so useful for this task.

I've also used TV cards and dongles, they also work, but the video capture quality is sub what a dedicated card can obtain, so it depends how important the results are to you really, on whether its worth getting such a card.

Here's a UK Stockist, will at least show what I mean, if you need to source elsewhere.
    http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

4. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Depends on what kind of quality you want. Hauppage is the best i have used. I had a setup for a PVR. Worked great. Those cards have a chip onbard that does the mpg compression. This is compared to your cpu doing all the work. Try newegg for pricing they are usually the best. Oh and stay away from the usb plug types the pci seem to work better.