1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Capture - Geforce FX5200

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Deantoby, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Deantoby

Deantoby Member

Have spent ages trying to capture from 8mm analogue camcorder to AVI file using Virtual VCR (via geforce FX5200- ASUS9520 deluxe video suite), then convert to MPEG2 using TMPGEnc Plus but quality is poor, PAL 720x576 viewed with PowerDVD do I need to use a 'video codec'?

Am I expecting to much from an analogue source or can it be improved with better software? Please help!!

AMD Ath XP1600+
    320 RAM
    30GB H/D

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What AVI format are you useing?? Meaning what codec are you useing to Capture to AVI?? If you are Not useing a Codec then you are captureing to Uncompressed AVI which Produces the best Quality because there is no Quality loss through compression but the Files are huge when captureing to Uncompressed AVI ,Usually about 1gb per minute of Uncompressed 720+480/576-Pal AVI Video...Maybe leave more information of what format you are captureing to and maybe I can think of something else to try...Cheers

3. Deantoby

Deantoby Member

Have tried capturing with and without compression (Huffyuv v2.1.1). Main problem is 'blocky' outline on movement, i.e. if someone is walking across the screen, this can be seen on the captured AVI file when played thro media player.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It could be that it is Just the type of Quality you get with the type of card you have...They aren"t known for there Capture Quality...You can try captureing to Mpeg2 But I doubt you will get better quality cuz Mpeg is Much more compressed than HuffYUV Files are...Are you sure what you are seing aren"t Interlace artifacts?? They Look Like Horizontal Lines moving through the Image when there is a Lot of Movement on the screen, If they are interlace artifacts then you could remove them by useing a Deinterlace filter...well good Luck