1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

video display problem..

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by duboy1, Jul 5, 2007.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

My problem is that my agp card all of a sudden stopped displaying the screen after i had the computer turned off one day. I did all the tests and yet nothing still displayed. After a day or so, i tried again, and it worked(i think after i removed it and put it back in). After i shutdown the computer and took out the card, then reput the card back in, it stopped working. So i figured maybe if i get a pci card from ebay, this would solve the problem. I just got it and tried it, yet it didnt work. Is there a solution for this? Maybe resetting something on the mobo? Thanks for any help.

tests i did...
    powered on/off
    monitor on/off
    tested video cards in other comp, works great
    tested monitor in other comp, works great

none of these resolved my problem

2. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

No graphics cards work on a PCI card! you got a PCI expresss card!!!! then possibly you put it in a PCI slot or an AGP slot and most likely damaged it, you will need a motherboard with a PCI Express x16 slot to use it!

can you give me a link to the card on ebay

3. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  4. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

that CANT be a video card, it is an excellarator, and judging by the price its not a good one, most graphics cards are 50 dollars at the minimum!

5. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

I just wanted something that works. It works in my one comp, how can i get it to pick up in my other computer? Thanks

6. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@duboy

I am going to be taking over this thread. The problem is that the drivers for your old videocard don't work with this videocard. Also try reseating your AGP card and turning the computer back on. Also if neither the pci or agp slots don't work I believe that your motherboard may have become damaged. Before I get real indepth have you always had a videocard installed in this pc? And what type of PC do you have Windows, Mac, *nix? And if Windows what manufacturer maek and model? If I know this I can find out the motherboard specs and find and make sure that card is compatible. Because for the price of that card it may very well not have a modern slot design and thus be incompatible with your pc.

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@mikeh0303

Do some research before posting and leading people off in the wrong direction.
    lol, well according to this your wrong.

A video card is a videocard accelerator. Videocard is simply a newer name, take this wikipedia.org page. The page that used to be named "Video Accelerator" is redirected to the "Graphics processing unit" page.

8. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

sorry, your right,

9. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Hey everyone makes mistakes, but like I said next time do some research.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think somebody needs some more building practice especially with older computers.

11. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

thats very true, there are many very old slots and other things that you would almost never see or hear about because of their age, I once opend up a very old compaq and was amazed how different computers were built years ago. They did not need half the cooling that computers need today and some had huge slots like where PCI would be.

I also had no idea you could get a video card for 1.25!

but the new stuff (parts) makes making computers so eazy, most heatsinks are easy to install there are almost no jumpers that have to be set, many BIOSes have easy features that allow you to over clock just by hitting some buttons or the BIOS can do it for you.

12. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

it is a gateway performance 1400. Serial number (0021483166).
    ^ on the gateway site i couldnt find the performance model, but i found it with my serial number.

I ran an agp video card until one day when it just didnt load up the display. I took out the card, powering on/off until it loaded again. Once it stopped loading, i just thought maybe it was the agp port and so i bought a cheap pci video card from ebay to check and see if that would solve it. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

--just to note, the pci card works and fits fine in my other computer. So at least i know the card works. And i know the card fits into the pci slot correctly for the computer that doesnt display. Just thought i'd inform you of this

13. ddp

duboy1, any beeping from computer? try clearing the cmos according to your user manual as have found that to kickstart a stubborn pc sometimes.

14. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

umm no beeping, just seems to not pick up the display. Ill try clearing the cmos and let you know. Thanks

15. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i have a few ideas,

-ask friends/pc shop if they have any agp cards you could try
    -if one from a friend/shop works go into windows, go: start, right click my computer, select properties, go to um well just look under all the tabs for something that says Device manager then go to display adapters and delete the drivers then try your old card

oh, and when clearing the CMOS make sure to unplug power, remove the CMOS batter and usually the longer you wait the better the results. So leave it out for a minute

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  16. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

I did try another agp card that i had lying around and that didnt work. Same thing happened-no display. Im gonna try clearin the cmos and let you know. thanks!

17. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

just moved the jumper over to clear the cmos and then turned it on but it didnt work. Switched jumper back, tried replacing the battery. Nothing worked. Any other ideas? thanks!

18. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

well, here are the only other things i can think of:

-bad AGP/PCI slot (try switching slots)
    -bad motherboard

btw, how long did you leave the CMOS with no battery???

19. ddp

mike, moving the cmos does same as removing the battery as long as external power is disconnected

20. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

ya, i know, i think he said he removed the battery, not switch the jumper. oh after reading it again your right he did move the jumper, but he also removed and replaced the battery.

i perfer to pull the battery because the jumper is to small to move around for me, half the time i drop the stupid thing inside the case then i cant find it.

do you have any more ideas for him? or have we gone through them all?