1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Recording

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by drawkcaB, Aug 18, 2002.

1. drawkcaB

drawkcaB Guest

Hi, i'm looking for a software to record my desktop as a full movie. spcified i want to use moretv to decode programs an want to record the decoded films on my computer in order to burn them as svcd. does anyone know a programm or another solution for my problem? thx

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

drawkcaB, screen capture programs like SnagIt will allow you to turn the desktop activity into an avi file. You'll need a fairly fast CPU depending on the size of the screen region you want to capture as well as the codec you use.

3. drawkcaB

drawkcaB Guest

is there any limitation or does it record until my hdd is full?
    do you know a good program to directly record as svcd files from the tv-program?

4. jnihil

Limitation again is the cpu horse-power and will restrict the fps and movie resolution. I doubt that you will fillup the hdd with one capture tho. fat32 and ntfs has filesize limits which I'm sure you will hit before the disk is filled.

I don't personally know of any sw/hw capable of realtime capture in svcd complient mpeg2 format, only vcd and dvd complient streams. Perhaps the others can comment...

5. drawkcaB

drawkcaB Guest

i looked for snagit but it is only a screenshot capture program. but i found camtasia. it is from the same manufactor and allows to defina an array or window you want to capture but it is a very slow program. tho i experienced a fps of 12 with amd 1,2ghz and asus gf4 ti 4200. a better fps must be possible i think, ,so im looking fo another program... pls hlp

6. jnihil

SnagIt will do avi capture as well. I used to make VCDs by capturing RealVideo windows (painful process, btw). There is another program called Hypercam (I think) that also does the same thing. Never used it tho.

How big is the screen region you are trying to capture, and how high does the cpu utilization go up to?

7. jnihil

8. drawkcaB

drawkcaB Guest

768x576 or something similar. i want to make svcd so the resolution could be less.
    i tried to turn off hardware acceleration but then the tv program prompts "the grafikcard couldn't build offscreendisplay" and then theres no tv. with camtasia windows task manager shows between 90-100% cpu utilization bur i think camtasia is not a good program.
    i testet cyberlink power vcrII, it is great because of its mpegII support and it captures really fast but only the direct tv input, not the screen from the other program.