1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virus + Popups Help!!

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Nephylim, Feb 18, 2007.

1. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

You're very welcome... glad I could help :)

As for things that may have been done... those Bots you were infected with were RATs or Remote Access Trojans. They pretty much give the attacker(s) full control of your computer to download and run/install other malware or even a RootKit, mess with your registry, lower the overall security of your computer, some can install Keyloggers(which could lead to cases of Identity Theft)... some pretty nasty and scary stuff.

As a precaution... you may want to change all your online passwords. Especially if this computer has been used for any online shopping/banking/etc. Also keep an eye on your Bank/Credit Card statements for the next little while to be sure you have no fraudulent transactions going on. Hopefully you won't need to worry about that though ;)

You can now delete the tools I've had you download if you wish.

Also if you aren't using a Firewall... you may want to look into installing one. ZoneAlarm and Comodo are a couple good free options to go with. Using one of those is better than using just the Windows Firewall as they can block outgoing traffic instead of just incoming traffic... which is all the XP Firewall can do. If they detect something trying to access the Net that you haven't given permission to they will popup with a warning about it. You can then either approve or deny it access.

Any other questions?

2. Nephylim

Nephylim Guest

No, I'm good, Thank you SO much! You're a life saver!!

3. KotaGuy

KotaGuy Regular member

Again... you're very welcome! :)

Surf Safe.