1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOB file audio/video conversion troubles

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by PM5K, Feb 15, 2005.

1. PM5K

PM5K Member

Hi!
    I thought it would be easy but it hasn't happened. So, the problem is that ive downloaded 13 music videos in VOB format. I aquired some by ripping them off some dvd singles i own and hopefully i want to compilate them onto a dvd and have an archive (TMF havent got a good music video broadcast at the moment :-b ).
    I have DVDlab to author the VOBs, but there is a problem with the audio. It demuxes and stuff and does its thing, it needs to convert the audio to something but im not sure what, but it doesnt make a difference there is still no sound.
    Using GSpot this is one of the sound types "DVD_LPCM_AUDIO" and another type is "AC3 (0xbd[0x80]:48000Hz 448 kb/s total (5 chnls))". So my dilema is how do i extract the audio from the vob and keep the quality but keeping the sudio within the dvd standard.
    I know this is like the longest thread ever but hey
    Software titles would be good and something that will work on PC, if theres anything else needed then please reply and ill add ASAP

cheers, and keep........breathing

PM5K

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

How to get audio from .vobs: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t187078.html
    You already know how to get video from the .vobs in dvdlab.
    Transcode all audio to AC3 48khz in ffmpeggui or Belight.
    Discard the audio (if any) that DVDLab found in the .vobs, and replace with your newly transcoded audio.

3. PM5K

PM5K Member

ive just into finding out what an AC3 really is...a compressed wav?? scary
    in the end i basically extracted the audio using virtualdub (somekind) then ac3 tools to convert the ac3 to wav. ive now authored a dvd, lets see how it works :-\

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Why is AC3 scary? It's DVD standard, and takes up far less room than LPCM .wav.
    Your ears cannot tell the difference.

5. PM5K

PM5K Member

is AC3 a kinda mp3...in a way??

6. PM5K

PM5K Member

I currently have another problem now :-(
    im using DVDLab to author the movies into a dvd but because theyre music videos dvdlab keeps making them into one 1gb VOB file, does anyone know how to make dvdlab seperate the files into induvidual music videos???

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Of course DVDLab will make a 1 gig .vob. That's it's job. The idea is to make a menu, where you can select which video to watch.
    I think you need to understand more about authoring, and DVDLab in particular.

AC3 is not mp3. Not even close. Time for even more reading :D

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005