1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

vob file problem?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by moles42, Feb 1, 2004.

1. moles42

moles42 Member

after just purchasing my very first dvd burner I wanted to burn the movies I had stored on my hard drive....but I'm thinking that I'm going to have problems.I only have 6 VOB files....1 IFO file...1 IDX file and 1 LST file and of courst one txt file.
    am I right in thinking that I need more files than this to be able to use dvdshrink which will enable me to burn the movie to one dvd?

any help would be much appreciated.

Mike.

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi Mike!

Every set of VOBs (i.e. VTS_01_0.VOB and VTS_01_1.VOB... is one set, VTS_02_0.VOB and VTS_02_1.VOB... is the next set....) needs one IFO and one BUP file (with the same number), in addition you have the VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.VOB files.

In order to see if you have all the neccessary files, open up a software DVD player (PowerDVD or WinDVD or similar) and open up the VIDEO_TS.IFO file on your harddrive. If the movie seems to work ok, then you can just open it with DVD Shrink and compress it, or directly burn it with Nero or similar software if it is less than 4.38Gb.
    Hope you get it working!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  3. moles42

moles42 Member

thanks Ketale for the feedback...
    unfortunately i can't get dvd shrink to recognise the files for some unknown reason...i have played the files in windvd but it has the directors commentary on it which i suppose means i will have to get the original again and re-rip yes?

thanks for your help.

Mike.

4. moles42

moles42 Member

thanks Ketale for the feedback...
    unfortunately i can't get dvd shrink to recognise the files for some unknown reason...i have played the files in windvd but it has the directors commentary on it which i suppose means i will have to get the original again and re-rip yes?

thanks for your help.

Mike.

5. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Hi again Mike!
    It's a bad sign if DVD Shrink does not regonize the files, it might mean that some specific file is missing. This might result in a DVD that doesn't play in standalone players... Nevertheless if the movie seems to be working on your harddrive, you could try to burn it unto a DVDRW disc first and check if it works.

WinDVD lets you choose the audio track, there's a little arrow at the right edge (->language->audio), but if the commentary track is all you can find there, then I'm afraid you'll have to start over again.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  6. moles42

moles42 Member

yep..i think a re-rip will be my best option buddy.

thanx again for your help.

Mike.