1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VOBs recorded on Sony GX7 are funky only on -R discs ??

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by iamjcl, Jan 5, 2005.

1. iamjcl

iamjcl Member

Have made ~60 full DVD-R copies of DV tapes, and importing the video onto pc using either straight copying of .VOB or using DVD Decrypter, I get strange timecode info for .VOBs - I.E. they seem to play OK in a player, but the time remaining / slider shows the clip is only a few seconds long. Needless to say, changing the extension to .mpg doesn't solve the problem.

Weird thing is that recording the same DV tape, on the same Sony recorder, with the same recording parameters, but using a +rw disc instead of the above-mentioned -R, produces "normal" vob files, which I can rename into mpg, or use dvd decrypter to join into 1 large .vob for importation into an authoring program. If I try to do it with the -R disc, I get 1 large mpg that has screwy time information, (says is 3.5 seconds long, despite 4.5GB filesize). Same for indivdual .VOBs renamed to mpg.

What gives ? The -R and +rw discs play perfectly normally in any player, and appear identical, unless you try to play the individual files, then there is a distinct diff in the two discs. There must be some information in the -R "information" files (.ifo ? .Bup ?) that is telling a player how to handle the files - how can I rip the disc into 1 mpeg with this information transcribed to the mpeg, so that it is a useable mpg file ?

Hope this makes sense
    - Chris

2. iamjcl

iamjcl Member

... A little more info...

It seems the +rw discs have only one vobid for the entire file, whereas the rips from the -r disc has about 200 vobids...

- Chris