1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volume fluctuations

Discussion in 'Audio' started by traumer, Jun 16, 2003.

1. traumer

traumer Member

I am getting random volume fluctuations from any file i play-be it MP3 from hard drive or from internet radio.

I changed to new winamp player and it still occurs, also happens with real player.

Is this a dying soundcard or is there a virus that targets Mp3's?

thank you for any help.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

You say "random volume fluctuations". I assume this means if you play back a file twice the fluctuation is different. If this is the case it's probably something hardware-related. To get more security about this you could
    - try if it still occurs on a clean fresh Windows installation (up to date sound drivers etc.) - back up your boot/system partition before. ;) or use another HDD for testing
    - try foobar2000: http://foobar2000.hydrogenaudio.org
    You can choose different output modes (DirectSound, WaveOut, Kernel Streaming) and find out if the problem lies there.
    - try other audio formats than mp3 (Ogg Vorbis, Musepack ...)
    - open Windows Volume Control (doubleclick on speaker symbol) and watch if some sliders move while playback (-> virus ?)

3. traumer

traumer Member

I have done some experimenting with different file types and even played some video.

I had wondered about a virus because i had downloaded some music, but when i played a cd I had bought it did the same thing.

I have found a volume fluctuation with all types, so I am convinced this is a hardware problem.

Te machine has onboard sound and i think the sound 'card' is at the end of it's life.

Thanks for your help you helped me narrow it down and more properly trouble shoot.