1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want DVD Recorder that doesn't leave blue screen

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ricsalt, Nov 5, 2004.

1. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Hi-I'm kind of taking a short-cut on this one-I haven't read extensively on this subject here at AfterDawn and don't know if this question has already been answered-

Do any DVD recorders "record" like vhs machines-meaning they donot impose a "bluescreen" at the beginning of a finalized dvd ?

I had a Panasonic for a short time, and after finalizing a disk, it left a blue screen where one could put in a title, date etc.

When I would give these discs to friends, they didn't know what to do to get the disc to play

2. jriler

jriler Member

Ricsalt, you're taking a big shortcut there. To answer your question taking just as big of a shortcut is, the vast majority of DVD writers don't have this problem.

I believe that you're talking about a software problem and not a hardware one. It would help if you mentioned what software you were using and what your operating system is. Roxio and Ahead, the two most popular DVD writing utilities, don't impose a blue screen for a title.

My suggestion would be to trash whatever program is causing this and buy a good writing program. Make sure your computer's operating system is updated, as is the bios of both your motherboard and your recorder. Also, when you have problems, it's important to know more facts. Shortcuts don't result in good answers, unfortunately, and it's better to spell things out.

Jack

3. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

I have a panasonic dvd recorder and when the blue screen comes up I push enter or play to start the dvd.
    If that doesn't work for your friends tell them to push stop then play. One of these procedures should do the trick for starting the dvd.

4. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Hi and thanks for the replies-I should have been more specific

I'm talking about stand-alone dvd recorders. My question is do they all impose a screen on a finalized dvd ? I had a Panasonic that after the recording was complete, asked you to finalize. When you take this disk and play it in a dvd player-the first thing that comes up is a blue screen and not the movie as the original dvd would display. Do all dvd recorders do this ?

5. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Yes. Like you said earlier the blue screen will show the name of the movie, date and time it was made, but at the bottom of the blue screen there should be a play option.

6. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Thanks-

I was hoping there was a dvd recorder on the market now that started with the program not a "lead" screen.

Is this true for RW dvd disks as well ?

Richard

7. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

To be honest i'm not sure about the RW discs cause I don't use them but, I assume everytime you setup a disc with the movie name 'etc' the blue screen will always show. After finalization the disc will be ready for playback.

8. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Thanks-

Geez- When you think about it- vcrs definitely have the advantage here-they only record what you want it to record

I find those blue screens very "cheap" looking, and hard to read

9. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

I hear ya ricsalt.

10. jacota20

jacota20 Member

i have a panasonic dvd recorder dmr-e85h. before i finalize the dvd, i can choose to either have the blue screen (top menu) appear first or have the movie start first. if i want the top menu to appear first, then i name the movie, choose the color of menu, etc.

if i choose to have the movie appear first, then the top menu (blue screen) can be accessed by the menu button on remote.

11. ricsalt

ricsalt Member

Well that's the best news I've heard in a long time- Thanks for the tip-I'll look into it

12. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

me too.