1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to know if my desired desktop upgrades are safe to make

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by LufianGuy, May 22, 2012.

1. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Hope everyone is doing well here.

I have a Dell Studio XPS 7100:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    8GB of RAM (2GBX4)
    1GB ATI Radeon HD 5670
    460W PSU
    1TB SATA 2 7200rpm HD

It says the motherboard is Dell 0GK1K2 (can't find specs for this online):
    http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-gk1k2-studio-xps-7100-motherboard_i_mbdgk1k2xps7100.aspx

I have yet to open up the tower and look inside myself, but there should be an extra SATA connection and one more 3.5" drive bay.

I want to upgrade the RAM to the max (16GB across 4 4GB sticks or 2 8GB sticks or whatever it needs to be) and need to add a slave drive (looking at 2TB-3TB) as my master drive is near 80% full (not good).

I need to know if these upgrades can be handled safely by the current power supply.

I called Dell and was told:
    1. Max RAM each slot can handle is 4GB or 8GB (got two different answers from two different people)
    2. If I add a slave drive bigger than 1TB, there will be problems with the PSU

I don't want to put too much in here and cause a problem with the PSU (won't that kill the computer entirely)?

Questions:
    1. So can I make these upgrades safely or not without also upgrading the current PSU?
    2. Is there a way for me to check the insides of my computer to know what is exactly in there (using software)?
    3. Is there a way for me to test to see if these upgrades will be safe?
    4. SATA 3 is backwards compatible with SATA 2 right (so a SATA 3 drive will work on a SATA 2 connection)?
    5. What RAM and HD's would you guys recommend?
    6. Can Windows 7 Ultimate support a 3TB HD as a slave drive with no problems?

I am always open to just buying an external HD and taking space off the master that way also.

Thanks!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

3. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Thanks for all of that info ddp.

I used the PSU calculator (might be wrong) and it is telling me:
    Your power supply rating should be greater than 472.5 watts.

So lets say I go ahead and hook everything up, what is the worst that could happen?

Guess I will either buy a 550/600W PSU (will have to check what needs to be on what rails) or just buy an external HD.

4. ddp

it could blow things like drives, motherboard, ram & other things or behave normally. can always upgrade the psu later when you get the 2nd tb drive. do you really need a 2nd internal drive that big that you can't use on other computers? go external. i was taking guesses on the calc as i didn't know exactly what you had except for your list. should have no problem with 3tb as external.

5. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Yea I figured the computer could blow up.

It seems like i will go external for the time being (quickest and easiest fix).

I downloaded the program mentioned here and max RAM per dimm is unknown:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-kind-of-memory-does-my-computer-have-installed/

I am a bit worried now though because with my current setup, the PSU calculator says:
    Your power supply rating should be greater than 466.5 watts.

and my PSU is 460W!! (Lets hope I or the calculator am wrong)

Was looking to use something like this for the ram (DDR3 SDRAM - PC10666, 1333MHz):
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6611013&CatId=3433

I assume maxing the RAM from 8GB to 16GB will increase the power used, so maybe I shouldn't max the RAM either?

6. ddp

what do you need 16gigs of ram for?

7. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I do a lot of video conversion (usually HD h.264 mkv to SD xvid avi), subtitle editing, subtitle embedding, and play a lot of video games.

Usually my 8GB of RAM goes by pretty fast, this may be due to a memory leak, but I am not sure how to find or fix it.

I will leave the computer on the desktop with nothing special going on and the RAM usually continues to drop.

Last edited: May 23, 2012