1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

War3 Status (Shoey and aldaco advice requested)

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by .X., Mar 13, 2003.

1. .X.

.X. Member

Hey there guys. Alright here's the deal:

I first tried to make a backup of WarCraft III using Blindwrite.

I used this link http://www.geocities.com/mikk999/blindwrite.html

And followed procedure, same thing I did with Master of Orion 3 (which is confirmed to work for me)

First burn was a total dud. This was with the BWA file (Using the Physical CD char. dumper)

Next I tried Blindwrite again, but this time without the .bwa file.

This time I got the automenu screen, starting installing, (and I should note that I always try the initial install and playback off of my CD-rom, not writer) and then it ended up hanging on an mpq. ophuman.mpq I believe was the exact one.

So then I went to alcohol. Created image file using Securom 4new, (WITHOUT RPMS, I don't want a backup I need emulation to use)
    Burned with alcohol.

Throw the disk into my rom, it ends up hanging in the same place. On that mpq file.

So then I try my writer, and the installation goes through just fine.
    But then, it won't initialze.
    Throw the copy back into my rom, and then it loads up. I patch up to 1.05 and still it works just fine.

So I suppose from a technical standpoint, I have created something of a good backup copy.
    However it just really irks me that for some reason I couldn't do the install off of my cd-rom.

I hope I have explained everything properly, if you guys have suggestions or ideas, I would most certainly appreciate it.

Just in case:

Writer = LG CD-RW GCE-8481B
    Rom = LG CD-ROM GCR-8520B

2. .X.

.X. Member

Update = Success!!!

Ok ignore my first post I spose.

Using CloneCD and the "SecuROM" profile that I downloaded, I created a perfect backup copy of War3 that installs, and initializes playback using my cd-rom. And yes, yes I am patched up to 1.05:) :)!!

3. Shoey

Shoey Guest

CloneCD\TwinPeak Tool combo?
    Or just CloneCD and SecuROM profile?
    I'm actually glad you have a copy becuause I'm interested when you use the patch updates. Once you get up to SecuROM 4.8.3, let me know if your bacup still works. Use ClonyXXL to scan the SecuROM protected cd (Warcraft III) and post the version. Congrats on your successful backup X!

Shoey

4. .X.

.X. Member

Thanks bro:)

Ok here's the info:

I used Clone CD ver. 4.2.0.2
    And the SecuROM profile for CCD. (I can't remember where offhand, but it was from a link you posted somewhere)

I did not try using the twinpeaks tool, because I used BlindWrite and the BWA builder for my first try and it was a total flop. Throw the disk in and it comes up with a critial error.

So anyways, I "am" patched up to 1.05. Latest patch for War3. And the stated SecuROM version is 4.78.xx...<---as indicated by using the system monitoring tool in ClonyXXL and then loading the game. Otherwise if I just throw in the CD and scan, it comes up with just "SecuROM *new*"

I'm not sure why patch 1.05 doesn't have me at 4.8?

So that's it I 'spose. Now what can I backup.....>_>....<_<

(Furiously checks game collection...lol)

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Send me your game collection in exchange for my girlfriend (just kiddin' m8)! Ok, so you used CloneCD (no twinpeak tool), I understand.
    Warcraft III 1.05 update patch brings the cd protection up to SecuROM 4.8. what? Does your original backup still work without emulation?
    Toughest games at present to backup are:
    Unreal Tournament 2003= SecuROM 4.83
    Master of Orion:= SecuROM 4.84

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2003
  6. GeoHound

GeoHound Member

hey guys, I wanted to know how can I make a perfect backup of the games without have to emulate it?

7. .X.

.X. Member

Ok, what does your g-friend look like bro? ~_^

Mwah hah hah ;)

Ok, I have been using my backup copy the "entire time" My original version of WarCraft 3 is sitting here beside me and hasn't been in my comp for ages. (Till today of course, when I used it to create a image file.)

So the install, the patching and loading of the game has been entirely dependent upon my backup copy.

"No" emulation. I'm super certain of this.

And I'm in Canada, maybe different SecuROM versions?

Because as I said, patch 1.05 brought me up to SecuROM 4.78.xx (That's all I could see. This was as indicated by using the system monitoring tool in ClonyXXL and then loading war3. Otherwise if I just scan the CD, I get "SecuROM *new*"

Maybe there is a way to better read the cd protection in Clony and I don't know how?

8. .X.

.X. Member

Shoey says: Toughest games at present to backup are:
    Unreal Tournament 2003= SecuROM 4.83
    Master of Orion:= SecuROM 4.84

Looks at working backup of MoO3, Mwah hah hah;)

Unreal T 2003? Bah I wouldn't bother even if I "did" own it which I don't. Just use the demo and have online gratuitious killing spree fun:) :)

9. Shoey

Shoey Guest

GeoHound ,
    What brand name and model burner do you own at present?

Shoey

10. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

.X. good to you, you've become a REAL backup machine... two thumbs up!!

but the procedure is somewhat cryptic; all thing you say seems to prove that the protection is NOT SecuROM 4.8x but it's strange ClonyXXL is not capable to detect it. I might assume that all is due to the version of the game that has been imported in Canada, bt it seems so strange...

11. .X.

.X. Member

Thanks alot Aldaco :)!

Yeah it seems strange to me as well, the only thing that I too can think of, is that us canuckleheads get a different version maybe. lol.

Umm, I had a question of a different nature (somewhat) and I'm not really sure if it fits this forum or not...don't see where else it would go really. Anyways, since it does concern alcohol, it should be ok.

The virtual drive in alcohol is listed as a dvd drive. Now, I have "no" dvd drives(physical) in my comp, and since we own a fair sized DVD collection, I was wondering simply if it would be possible for me (using alcohol of course) to somehow sit down here one night and watch a DVD on my comp...?...as opposed to the playstation 2 upstairs that I would normally use?