1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what am i doing wrong b/c i'm so close...

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dmb9626, Dec 23, 2007.

1. dmb9626

dmb9626 Guest

I have ripped my backup to my hard drive using DVDfab and have compressed it using DVD2one. All 19 of my files are in their VIDEO_TS folder ready to be burned. I just downloaded ImgBurn and now I'm kind of lost b/c I'm not sure what to select.

I have read about 500 postings (it seems) but given that there are so many, I must not be looking at the right ones.

I'm mainly confused on what "mode" I need to be in and why some people are converting the entire movie to an ISO file (I am very new to backing up my DVDs and haven't had a need to do it in the past). Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or I guess NOT doing.

Thx.

2. dmb9626

dmb9626 Guest

Forgot to add...I also have Vista which I've been reading is the cause of some headaches, but wanted to add that in case that means anything to anyone.

3. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hello qnd Merry Christmas dmb9626, imgburn is a iso burning engine only in that it will burn only iso files. the easiest way to solve your problems are to do the following

1) use dvd shrink to compress the output of dvdfab ( make sure that output of shrink is in an iso file
    2) burn the iso file with imgburn
    3) use the guide here for more questions
    4) dvd shrink is freeware

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/334154

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

2 make everything work right, make sure u have 2 gigs of Ram and a dual core processor ( preferably a core 2 duo processor)

5. dmb9626

dmb9626 Guest

Changing the file to an ISO seems to take much more time and seems like a longer process. Everything seems to be going ok right now though. I'm currently in the "analysing" stage of DVD Shrink.

So doing what I was doing before, using DVDFab, then using DVD2one to get a VIDEO_TS folder/files compressed, isn't there a program that I can burn going that route? Maybe not freeware, but from what I've been reading, I'm guessing Nero version 7 (because of Vista)? Is there anything that is freeware for burning?

What is the ISO file doing for me that the other VIDEO_TS total files aren't? (I think these are very novice questions.)

6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Iso vs VTS is only format languages. It's like English vs French, we both said the same thing only some understand one and some understand the other. Imgburn understands only iso. If and when you decide to burn dual layer discs, imgburn becomes a far better tool for burning than Nero ever will become

7. tjohns

tjohns Member

ImgBurn is NOT JUST FOR ISO'S ... on the MODE menu select the BUILD option, click the 'BROWSE FOR FOLDER' button and add the VIDEO_TS folder to the list (or drag'n'drop it). It'll auto-switch to ISO9660+UDF file system (required for DVD video). Throw in a blank disk, hit the big WRITE button, enter some volume names for the disk, and away you go!

Trev

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  8. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

dmb9626,
    There are a lot of avenues out there you can take. One being, is iluvendo's. Also, you can follow the trail here.

9. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Did'nt know that, many thanks Pryme_H! Merry Christmas!

10. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

When using DvdShrink in Vista you may need to set the compatability to run with Vista. Right click the desktop icon, select compatability and set to run with Vista.

EDIT: add image.

[​IMG]