1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what are good tv speakers for a low price?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by pistonfan, May 23, 2007.

1. pistonfan

pistonfan Member

ok, im looking to add some speakers to my tv because i love movies but the sound on my tv stinks. i have an older tv and i am looking for some quality, low price speakers. i looking for something in the $40-$50 range. also, do i have to buy anything to set something like this up like a receiver? does anyone have any suggestions? also keep in mind that im a complete newbie to this.

p.s. i know this might not be the right thread but how can i transfer the audio from my computer to my tv?

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. djbarbie

djbarbie Member

if your tv has scart you connect it with a wire one side jack plug (pc) and other side scart (TV)

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@pistonfan ... here is a company that makes good quality speakers at a low price. I've heard their lower priced speakers and they're quite good for the price ... not top of the line, but quite good. Since you seem to be working on a very limited budget, I would go to a pawn shop or even thrift stored and get yourself a used regular stereo amp and connect your speakers to it ... try connecting them to your TV first but the amplifier in your TV, even if it has external speaker terminals, isn't designed for them and, even though it will sound better with external speakers, don't have the frequency responses, distortion levels to produce good quality listening. You can substantially improve the sound by doing to the types of stores I mention in invest 50.00 in a used amplifier (just make sure it works before you leave the store) and make sure it has an "auxilliary input" to connect your TV to. It's not going to give you the awesome surround sound of some really pricy Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha but it will be a substantial increase in quality over what your tv can produce. Here is a good company for low price speakers (they also have an ebay store). There is a second company which I'll post later (I don't remember the name. Let us know how you make out ... and by the way, welcome to afterdawn!

http://www.fluance.com/

Edit: if you decide to get an external amplifier, you might want to wait before buying speakers ... some of them will come WITH speakers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007