1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are The Differences In Lines Of Resolution Between Broadcasted And Recorded Video Sources?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Sophocles, Sep 4, 2004.

1. 64026402

64026402 Active member

And here I though Failsafe was nuclear disaster thriller. I though it was more convincing than newer movies even without any special effects.

I like pretty much any Jimmy Stuart movie.
    I think his Lindberg part is my favorite.
    I think I like this dead reckoning navigation, except for the name.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Fail Safe is a great movie. And I used to watch a lot of Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies, but since seeing Jeremy Brett play him, I don't like watching anyone else's version. If you didn't know already, you can get several of the Basil Rathbone movies for free (public domain) from Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/movies/movies.php

On the capture front, I've decided to make a sort of test disc to try to determine the maximum useful resolution for an S-video capture from any given setup I get. It won't tell me anything about my current capture card, because the only way I can get acceptable quality is to capture at 720x480 at a high bitrate, but when I build an HTPC I may be able to use it. Plus I'm looking for something besides DVD programs to occupy myself with for a while ;)

I realize that analog signals don't have pixels, but I'm trying to figure out the maximum number of chroma variations that can be reflected in the signal portion of a single scanline, which I can then double to get the optimal resolution to capture or encode it at (or at least a number to start with). That will no doubt be one that isn't compliant with any format, but it stands to reason that you could use that to determine what compliant resolution you should use.

I think most captures could potentially look better on a DVD, even those with lower resolutions, because of the higher bitrates allowed. My Dish Network captures had max bitrates of 4,500kbps to 5,500kbps, and that was using CCE SP's One Pass VBR which can encode purely based on quality. You basically set it to the amount of detail to be kept and end up with whatever bitrate is required to maintain that. You can get a pretty good idea of the quality of the original video by looking at what setting (lowest Q number) you can use, and not have details (ie noise) created because there is no more detail to keep. Based on the bitrate differences between those encoded captures (which are inflated due to encoding a certain amount of noise) and the same material on a commercial DVD, I'd say I ended up with around 2/3 the bitrate you'd find on a commercially encoded DVD of the same material. That kind of bitrate isn't compliant with any standalone compatible format besides DVD. If you encoded to SVCD that same quality would probably require a maximum video bitrate between 2,700kbps and 3,500kbps which wouldn't be standards compliant (that's important to me).

I'm also thinking about what I would get to put in an HTPC in the future. If I'm only playing it back from that, I'd like to find out what kind of resolution to use. I'm considering getting a Canopus hardware encoder for capturing because I like the convenience of the Sony card I have now, but I doubt I'd have a lot of resolution control with it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I'll try that download site, maybe they have some of the Thin Man series too.

Good luck with your HTPC, I know you'll research it to death. Just make sure you get the best possible input. Component first and S-Video second. A little history S-Video used to be referred to as S-VHS connectors because that's what it was originally designed for. Names seem to change to make them more understandable to the average user.

VHS is now referred to Video Home System but in the beginning it was called Vertical Helical Scan which is the method that the heads write to the tape. The first working Video recorder was invented by Ampeg USA but it was a huge clumsy design reel to reel with a reel that had about a 3 foot diameter. The large reels were required because of the write speed required to move tape at high speeds over the recording heads, the higher the speed the better the recording.

The Japanese overcame this by not only using the length of the tape but also its width and instead of moving the tape at high speed over the heads they moved the heads at high speed over the tape by rotating them across its width, hence Vertical Helical Scan. Beta further refined the principle and made even better use of tape width.

4. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Thanks for the site. I'll use it.
    The HTPC is a neat idea but it is becoming less practical with the tv equipment coming out being so cheap. Like DVRs and DVDrecorders.
    My old HTPC stopped being usefull with my last round of upgrades.
    My dvd player plays anything I need and the Tivo does the digital recording. I need to setup a good capture from my Tivo though. There will likely be some recordings I'll want to keep.
    But a DVR with dvd recorder would do that if I wanted I guess.

To do a HTpc right at this time you could spend a lot of money.

5. vurbal

Agreed on all points. Right now is a bad time to spend a bunch of money on a good HTPC for a number of reasons. If I had my choice of solutions I'd probably be using a DVR that captures the satellite stream, and converting that directly to a standard MPEG-2 for long term storage. I'm not going to spend the money on that right now, but some time in the future it may be a possibility.

At the same time, there are a couple of reasons for me to seriously consider building one eventually. The first one is that I'm planning to build a dedicated audio PC soon, and if I keep HTPC requirements in mind, I should be able to eventually use it as an HTPC as well with just a couple of upgrades.

6. turkey

turkey Regular member

i hate to jump in on your discussion, but i couldn't resist...

i've been a huge fan of HTPC's ever since they came out with the 5.1 channel digital audio and TV output. for me, it doesn't make any sense to go and buy all kinds of home theater equipment and have a computer sitting in the next room as well... why buy the HT equipment when the computer you already own can do most of the stuff the equipment can do and then some??

granted the integration of all the different funtions into a single HTPC software solution has not matured enough for the casual user. so having separate HT equipment is simpler in some respects. but "simple" takes all the fun out of it. for all those geeks out there who enjoy all the setup and configuring and tweeking, HTPC's are a little piece of heaven...

of course there is no way around the fact that it all costs money. and while i have not done alot of shopping lately, i am curious what people think about the costs of setting up an HTPC. does a HTPC that can do everything a regular home theater does actually cost more??

7. 64026402

64026402 Active member

The only problem for me is a HTPC that will do what I want and recreate what my over the counter video components do would cost many times more. I have a cheap HTPC but it doesn't do everything I need.

Ultimately I would like to do up a nice one but money is a problem right now.

8. turkey

turkey Regular member

i'm curious...
    what are the HT functions that you have deligated to over the counter equipment?? which HT functions do you think are the hardest to switch from a set top to a PC?? and if you had the money, which functions would be the first to be moved to the PC??

9. 64026402

64026402 Active member

For my next HTpc I would like a higher end PVR card and an audio card with additional capabilities and ports.
    A higher end video card for games and power to run them.
    I want the main computer parts to be good enough not to need reconfiguring for a while.

The case will be moded from something big but basic.
    Of course the DVDrecording equipment will be there.

For right now my Tivo directv and HTreciever and DVD do what I need. I don't even have a computer hooked up anymore. But I have future plans.

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Hey guys.

If we're going to discuss HTPC's then let's hear some brand names and some specs.

What capture cards , sound cards, are you using. Do you watch it on your PC monitor. I do on my 22" Viewsonic P225f and my surround sound is played back through my Sound blaster Audigy 2 platinum card with my Logitech 400 watt RMS 4 way surround speakers.

11. vurbal

That's a pretty nice setup Sophocles. Personally I'm too big a fan of sitting in front of the TV in my recliner to watch in front of the PC, so I'm planning to build one that's geared more toward that. The only component I've actually picked out (because it will be in my music PC) is the Terratec Aureon 7.1 FireWire audio device (http://productsen.terratec.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=198&menu=115).

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Vurbal

Terratec Aureon 7.1

Not a bad card at all. My stuff is over two years old and you know what that means in the world of IC chips and electronics. My monitor is only a few months old and I can't find a reason to replace it. I'm waiting for LCD's to catch up but they're taking their time and CRTS are still better overall.

You were right to leave this thread alone it's actually on topic. LOL

13. turkey

turkey Regular member

Sophocles, it's nice to hear that i am not the only one who appreciates the quality of the CRT over the LCD. watching a DVD movie on an LCD can be distracting if not down-right difficult.

i have a 24" widescreen Sony Trinitron monitor, which fulfills the roll of both monitor and big screen TV. when watching DVD's at 16:9 the entire screen is filled; it is the equivilent of having a 29" TV. of course, if the movie is 4:3 then the screen size is only equivilent to a 19" TV...

my main motivation for building an HTPC was so that i could get rid of those puny, crappy little desktop PC speakers. so now i use a cheep ($15) sound card with s/pdif optical output hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR500 stereo reciever with a couple of 150 watt JBL bookshelf speakers.

vurbal:
    that Aureon unit looks like it could be very useful in a HTPC system. i assume that you would not need a stereo reciever at all if you were to use it. how much does it cost?? are you sure you have no idea what speakers you want to hook up to it??

--BTW: how much does a Tivo or a DVD recorder cost anyway??
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]i like to eat turkey...[/small]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  14. 64026402

64026402 Active member

My Tivo Directv unit cost $100.
    As far as naming specs on the my next PC for the family room I don't know what will be out by the time I wil be able to afford it.
    I will keep an eye on new stuff and check to see what others are getting the best results with. But right now it is out of my budjet for about a year.

My old unit was pretty basic but it served my purpose until I could get my Tivo and DVDplayer.

The old one had a 3500 tv dfx and DVD player and CD burner with SB live card. I used it to play DVDs and VCDs until I got my first DVDplayer then I still used it for those movies that wouldn't play on the player.
    Music was also stored because the first dvd player would only do regular CDs.

Now that its not needed I just used the parts in my other computers. A HTpc would be more for fun at this point than serve a function.

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes I'd say that if the MAC expects to stay afloat or in competition with IBM clones its going to have to find other manufacturers to buid them too. Staying propietary will eventually see the end of the MAC.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I stated in my original post that I'd like this thread to be relaxed and a bit loose in interpretation. That's for the most part because there's so many vehicles for video transmition. I'm looking for a high quality Digital Video Camera.

This is a link to a camera that I find interesting but it is a bit expensive and therefore interferes with other expensive equiptment that I'm interested in to complete my home studio. I would like some advice and specifications on some good camera's that just might bring down the price without sacrifice.

17. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

I saw in the Wall Street Journal that affordable HD cameras are expected in the spring (if memory serves me right) -- can you wait that long?

18. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

jdobbs

Any particular designs or makes in mind?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."[/small]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I think I could probably wait until spring. I just need some I idea of design and price. I would like to get a high end consumer product.

20. jdobbs

jdobbs Regular member

I'm trying to find the article. I think I may have it at work. I'll get back with you tomorrow.