1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What DVD drive to get

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by starchy, Jan 14, 2007.

1. starchy

starchy Regular member

I am looking for a DVD drive to get from Walmart(only because I get a discount there) but I am looking for an external drive because I dont not want to switch out the other drive. But anyway I want to use it to backup XBOX games and maybe PS2(prolly just XBOX) and I was unsure to get any DVD burner or a double layer one or what.Alos will I need different disks (I.E- double layer or regular DVDs?).
    thanks for any help

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

what brands can you get from Wal-Mart?

you can backup your games on to a SL (dvd-5) blank

3. starchy

starchy Regular member

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Most Xbox1 games are on single layer disc so you will need to use single layer media. If you have an Xbox 360 then you will need to burn them to Dual-Layer media.

Most burners you buy now are Dual-Layer anyway. So it should already be a Dual-Layer drive. If it isn't I would still find 1 that will burn Dual-Layer media in case you decide to burn Xbox 360 games or backup your DVD movie collection on Dual-Layer media.

What type of computer do you have? Is it a desktop PC? If so are there any other expansion bays you can put the DVD burner in. Most computers come with 2 bays or more. If it has an extra expansion bay then you can get an internal drive and place it in the computer keeping your other drive in the computer.

Lite-On is a pretty good DVD burner and most Walmarts carry them so I would suggest getting an internal lite-On if you have an extra drive expansion slot in your computer. As to external drives I have never used them so i don't know what brand would be good.

5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

6. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

7. starchy

starchy Regular member

Yeah I have a laptop with only one drive (reads dvds and cds and burns cds only :( .....) and so that is why i wanted to swap it out or get an external but they are so much more....would it be difficult to swap out a laptop drive

8. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

you can keep your internal drive in your laptop and add a external drive/burner

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You should beable to go to the manufatures website of the laptop and get a DVD burrner upgrade. I duno what the price diffrence would be but an external will work.

10. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

I've use external burners with my laptop for years. I usually just buy an internal drive and place it in a USB2 or Firewire enclosure myself. It's usually cheaper and not all manufacturers make an external version. My advice would be to buy decide the burner you want first and then decide between the external version (if one exists) or buying the internal and then putting it into an external enclosure. I've used both Bytecc and Plumax external enclosures without problems. I wouldn't buy a laptop internal burner unless you travel and need the DVD burner. The laptop burners are certainly more fragile than their desktop cousins and seem to be more problematic. I have an NEC 6750 burner in my laptop that's done a good job. The only reason I got it was because the DVD ROM in the laptop couldn't read burned DL disks and I travel. My external desktop burner yields a better quality burn and I use it all the time and not the laptop burner unless I'm on the road.

11. starchy

starchy Regular member

I would only go with an internal becasue they are cheaper. but idk if it is easy or not to put it in my self
    but the external ones are alot more expensive. I do not personaly know how to do that external enclouse thing myself so yeah i think i am going to have to go with an external.....imma start saving now
    haha

12. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Most of your laptops have a lever you push for it to release the drive from the laptop and slid the drive out. Then just replace it with the updated drive DVD burner by sliding it in. But again it depends on your laptop brand if this is the case and if you could upgrade to a DVD Burner. You would have to check on price difference for it.

What is the brand and model number of your Laptop?

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

USB external Burners are great. I have a third LG external and it will triple burn along with 2 internal benqs 1650s in Nero. Buy the lite on and get a $25 USB case and it will still be cheaper than a store bought external. Listen to laddyboy Probably <$65 @newegg.com

14. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Putting an internal burner into an external enclosure takes a few minutes. You screw the burner to the enclosure with 4 screws (or it snaps into place with some enclosures), connect the power and data cables to the burner, and connect the USB2 or FW cable to your laptop. Well I guess you have to snap the top and sides of the enclosure together as well.

Some internal laptop drives are secured with screws. See the bottom of the laptop. There are usually disassembly instructions on the innertubes for nearly all laptop models.

15. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Get this Lite-On 16X SHW-160P6S (USB 2.0 External) for $69.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106053 -- it comes with Nero and PowerDVD software.

Or here at your local Wal-Mart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5039020 -- this baby burns everything you throw in there (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL), of course except HD-DVD and Blu-ray. She can "booktype" any DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD+R DL into DVD-ROM easily when burning with Nero, ImgBurn and DVD Decrypter. In addition, it has a lil nice "Smart-Burn" tool as well.

I got mine roughly 4 mos ago at Wal-Mart when it was on sale (special one time deal) for $69.99 -- I originally was shopping at "newegg", but at that time they're all out-of-stock. Been burning hundreds and hundreds and she never created any coasters what-so-ever.

However, the choice is yours. Best of luck shopping for your new DVD burner.

16. starchy

starchy Regular member

I like the idea of the enclousure thing but I personaly think that i will somehow screw it up becasue I do not know the challenge that it may be so I think I am going to get the one at walmart the Lite-On

thanks for your help

uhhh I would guess the would close it because I do not need anymore help

so
    CLOSE THIS FORUM