1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best Convertor to use

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by lindseya, Feb 10, 2004.

1. lindseya

lindseya Member

im currently using cucusoft to convert avi to mpeg but it takes on average 50 hrs to convert and i have 32gb on my hdd are there any quicker convertor i could use?? cheers a virgin

2. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

You need to provide a lot more information than that.

1. How long is your movie?

2. What are your system specs(mainly CPU and speed)?\

3. What kind of mpeg are you creating(VCD,SVCD,DVD)?

4. When you say you have 32gb on your hard drive does that mean free space, or the size of the file you created?

I(or someone else) would be glad to offer some advice but you just need to fill in some of the blanks.

3. lindseya

lindseya Member

im just after advice on other convertors that people use, ive got 31.7 free on my hdd ive got a packard bell pent II the movie is 1 and a half hours long and im converting avi to mpeg
    which convertor do you use??

4. teegee420

teegee420 Regular member

I understood the nature of your post perfectly. I requested more info because most of those things affect encoding times in some way. I asked the type of mpeg you are making because there are several different types with varying amounts of time necessary to encode. Your CPU is the main reason why your encode took so long. I actually use a few different encoders but I'll recommend TMPGEnc. It's not necessarily the fastest, but it has the shortest learning curve and it's also the cheapest. It produces very good quality too. And if you are only making mpeg-1 video it's free.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Your PC is Just not suited for Encodeing, well actually it isn"t Suited for anything accept maybe Checking your e-mail...It is Just too Slow so no matter what encoder you use it will take Literally Days to encode a whole Movie...I think you should work on Upgradeing your PC to something Anything faster than a P-2, You can Upgrade to a New 2.0ghz+ CPU and Motherboard for about $100 or even Less...The encoder I use can encode a 90 Minute AVI file to Mpeg2 at VCD Resolution in about 20 Minutes, It is called "CinemaCraft Encoder 2.67" and is One of the fastest and Highest quality encoder available But to get these speeds you need a Pretty Fast System ,I"m running at 2.8ghz and you need at least a 600mhz CPU and 256mb or Ram just to run the Program...If you want to Upgrade to a faster CPU let me Know and I can give you a few Links to were you can get a New 2ghz+ CPU/Motherboard for under $100...Good Luck

6. devil60

devil60 Guest

If you know how to do it go and bring up your task manager- and look at the CPU uasge you may have solfware that is runing all the time on my its 2% and up to 12% whih converting and Encodeing is going on=dont have eney open boxs at first and then look at it as you are converting and Encodeing,then you will know as=== Minion ==says your PC is to old and Upgradeing your PC will help, it all so come will out in lest cost to just go and get a new PC for under $1200 or so