1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the best way to save a video as a data on dvd disc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by konoo, Mar 30, 2005.

1. konoo

konoo Guest

hello,
    I make a lot of recording using a mini-dv video camera.
    the avrage size of the file is about 20gb in dv-avi format, and around 30,000 bitrate.
    now, I want to burn it to a disc with the LARGEST capacity available today i.e DVD, as a DATA not a video.
    so, what is the best and largest DVD media on the market today I can use with? (price is also an issue here). also, is there a difference between r-/r+ for this matter?
    second, what is the best format for converting for converting the DV source file to fit the size of a DVD disc (depends on the capacity), and still maintaining the closest quality to the DV source?
    thank you
    avraham

2. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I would recommend a program like Sonic MyDVD. You can capture straight from your camcorder to DVD(Mpeg2) or VCD(Mpeg1) creat chapters,menues the works. I've personally done the dv format thing takes way to long to convert file. On top of that there are several dv formats. If you must convert there are several programs that will do this for you like WinAVI Video Converter none which are free. I've used programs like MGI video maker, came with camcorder that would convert dv files (Long process).

Good Luck

Spacedust

3. konoo

konoo Guest

first, I think that realtime encoding is much worse, than doing it afterwards. no?
    second, I don't care about seeing the movie, right now I just want to save it in the best possible way as a backup on the largest media available i.e DVD. that's it. and in order to do it i have to compress the 20gb dv-avi file down to 4.7gb. i just want to know what's the best possible way to do that.
    thanks.

4. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I use Sonic Mydvd all the time personally I think the video looks great but I guess the specs on pc would make a great diffrence on encoding quality. If you must convert Check out virtual dub it will convert dv to divx. Also check out
    windows media encoder it will convert dv to wmv. Here is a guide I found check it out.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244151

Good Luck

Spacedust