1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference of burning with Nero or Decryptor?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Vicus, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Vicus

Vicus Member

I've had complete UNsuccess backing up any movies thus far. I have the latest versions of Shrink, Decryptor and Nero. everything goes a-ok until I try to play the backup. will play in my computer, but not in my ps2, x-box or any standalone I've tried. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 things, 1. I'm using Maxell dvd-rw's, or 2. when I author in shrink, the last one I tried to burn I placed the main movie ahead of the menus in the structure column. Could someone please tell me the settings I would need to burn using nero and decryptor, should I burn as ISO or Video cd. I also heard that if your hard drive is FAT32, you can't burn a file over 4gigs in decryptor, should I format my HD or if I just wanted the main movie on a backup, shrink it just under 4 gigs? all or any help is much ablidged..Thanks

2. calhounm

calhounm Guest

First of all welcome, second which have you tried dvd shrink/nero then have you tried dvd shrink/decrypter. In dvd shrinks settings you should have burning with nero enabled also if this is your first time check out the guides they are really helpful.http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It sounds like your stand alone players don't like RW media. This isnt all that uncommon exspecially for your game counsel's. Try a DVD-R and you will more than likely have solved your problem.
    Second if you are running WinXP then by all means convert your drive to NTFS it is the far superior file system, but you do not have to format your drive for this XP will do it for you with no problems. If you have Win98 and older forget it you are stuck with a FAT file system. If you are running NT then you would have to format your drive. You could still back up a DVD in FAT32, but what you cant do is store a file larger than 4GB on your hard drive so if you were to say make an ISO image it couldnt be larger than 3.9GB. To get around this if for some reason you don't want to convert your drive then you could use DVD Shrink and Nero. Use Shrink to rip, author, and back up your DVD and Nero to burn.
    I am not sure why you would use nero and decrypter together though? Here are the mixtures you could use with the proggys you mentioned
    1. Decrypter - Shrink
    2. Shrink - Nero
    3. Decrypter - Shrink - Nero
    It all boils down to prefference, but If you convert your HD to NTFS then I would recommend the 1st combination. If not you will have to use the second.

V/R,
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2004
  4. Vicus

Vicus Member

thanx all, I didn't buy one burn disc's because I didn't want coasters. I do run with windows 98 second edition so I'm stuck with a FAT lady then :). as for my combos, I don't use decryptor with nero, I downloaded both just in case. I tried using shrink then Nero, and I tried using shrink and converting to an iso to my HD, then burning it to dvd with nero both as iso, then as video cd, neither worked other than in my comp. so that must mean that I'll have to purchase one burn disks. Could you tell me though that when I burn to my HD, what setting would I need in nero, i've read that you are supposed to go to Nero burning rom but I don't really know where to go from there. thanx again folkx.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Vicus,
    Seeing how you are using Win98.. WOW .. No really seeing how you are using Win98 I would suggest you use DVD Shrink and Nero to back up your DVD's I have real easy to understand user guides here.
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/
    This should help you out.

Good Luck
    [​IMG]