1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's using my memory?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by klemperal, Apr 16, 2007.

1. klemperal

klemperal Regular member

Well, usually I have around 60.5 GB of free space on my computer, but today I see that it has dropped down to 59. I went through the usual steps of CCleaner--disk clean up and defrager but no there was no real change in how much memory my computer still has. I was wondering if there was a freeware program that showed you how much memory which files/programs were using.

2. onya

onya Guest

You are actually refering to Hard Disc Drive space and not RAM. The reason therefore your HDD space is diminishing is that you are saving data to it....as does everyone. To gain more space, you need to clean house. Job done.

Random Access Memory is used to temporarily store info that apps need to run. This stops proggies from constantly reading the required data from your HDD. If memory capacity is low, then the program being run may need to read data directly from your HDD, and so inturn slows down the whole show.