1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats wrong with my computer???

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by jnbean, Jul 13, 2007.

1. jnbean

jnbean Member

I have a computer far more able to run the games i run on itself, 2.4 Ghz, 384 Mb Ram, A 124Mb Nvidia GeForce Fx Video card, newest DirectX, and when I run certian games they run crappy....it will run fine and after a minute it will freeze up for about 30 seconds...happends to games like doom 3, Warcraft 3, GTA III, GTA Vice city, AND EVEN STARCRAFT BROODWAR!! But there are other games that dont have this problem for me such as Sims 2, Sims 2:pets, Empire Earth.....what is causing this problem? and how can i fix it?

2. onya

onya Guest

Don't take this the wrong way but...... your processor is up to the challenge, it can handle most of what you ask of it, however (this is the bad bit) it has very little to work with. The RAM would be in my opinion 512MB and the vid card would be 128MB (not shared). So it's no doubt that the more recent games cannot run smoothly. Make an upgrade to the RAM (if the budget allows, go to at least 1GB or 2GB, the latter is better)

Upgrading the Random Access Memory chips/sticks is often the best money spent on older or needy systems.

EDIT: Just noticed this in your sig......

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  3. jnbean

jnbean Member

still dont know why starcraft wont run good on there, or warcraft III...my other computer (501Mhz, 256mb Ram, 36mb video card) rather shitty can run starcraft at perfect speed and warcraft at a playable speed...

4. DMW

DMW Regular member

Hi,
    I would have to agree with Onya on one thing, upgrade your RAM, it will make a big difference in playing games.
    I would also guess that your card is sharing its 128MB of RAM from your system, leaving you the 384MB from your 512. If this is the case then find out what free card slots you have inside your PC and get yourself the best grahics card your budget will allow, this will drastically improve your games.

If the games you mention run on your other system (501Mhz, 256mb Ram, 36mb video card) then I can only assume you have your detail and res turned low, as that system seems low specced for games.

Hope it helps

5. jnbean

jnbean Member

heres a good one...then why dose sims 2 run fine? far more advanced than starcraft.

6. AlphaGod

AlphaGod Member

As stated above, upgrade the ram,

It could also be the fact your drivers are out-dated, so try updating all of them, see if that will help any

7. AngelOne

AngelOne Guest

Dude, if you can afford all these games, seriously upgrade your PC. I think it's about time, not to mention you will be very happy that you did.

8. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

angelones got a point lol....but seriously...sims 2 is a rather crappy game compared to doom 3. seriously upgrade....the more you can afford the better and the more you will enjoy your games....

9. AlphaGod

AlphaGod Member

Pirating?

10. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

hmm...true youve got a point...but anyone who knows enough to be able to copy licensed games should know what his computer can and cannot handle...unless hes got buddies that do it for him...lol

11. wabashman

wabashman Active member

i dont think he has pirated the sims 2, i have yet to find a working no dvd crack. and yes i mean dvd, not cd as i have BOUGHT the sims 2 deluxe which was on a dvd. and it has to be in the drive and cant be ran with an image mounted in anything that i have tried it with.

12. AlphaGod

AlphaGod Member

There are a bunch...

13. jnbean

jnbean Member

Just to let everyone here know that all games im trying are legit copies, and i have gone as far as formating my hard drive and re instaling windows, loading theese games in linux, yet it still has same problem.

14. EricCarr

EricCarr Regular member

I would recommend more RAM. 2GB of at least. Get a 256 MB Video card Gigbyte 7600 GT would be okay to use.

The Sims 2 will run fine on your system, until you start adding more content to your game in you download.

15. DVDdunce9

DVDdunce9 Member

why would installing your games on linux help anything....you need to upgrade your computer with more ram and a video card... i got a cheap 512 video card for 80$ and ram you can get for about 75$

16. Mancster

Mancster Guest

wow upgrade upgrade upgrade,

i have 6.4hz , 1 gig of ram, and a 512mb x1950 saphire radeon and some games still odnt run that good, games are becoming more demanding in graphics, keep up :)

17. wabashman

wabashman Active member

how do you have a 6.4ghz cpu?? never knew there was such a thing.

18. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

yea... what??????6.4ghz? Thats almost imposable! (unless you got a overclocked duel core and are counting both cores)

19. Mancster

Mancster Guest

lol yeh sorry dual core but still

20. wabashman

wabashman Active member

doesnt really work that way man. just because you have each core running at 3.2 doesnt mean your computer is a 6.4 ghz. if that was the way it worked, we would all be in heaven.