1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats your favorite movie .........?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by wonderboy, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I thought that ending was fantastic wonderboy. I don't see how you couldn't get it! Perhaps they had a really bad copy and couldn't hear half the movie.

VCD & dali: I reckon the best of the matrix is still to come. It still hasnt ended so we can't throw a verdict on it yet!

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

I also love Braveheart with Mel Gibson, was my favorite before Matrix came out.. still one of my fav's of all time! The storyline may not be original, but how many movies are there that don't borrow some things from other movies?

3. Dela

Braveheart is one of the best movies ever made!! VCD, you have good taste :)

4. rad

rad Member

What about The Godfather (1 and 2 that is)?
    Lawrence of Arabia?
    The Exorcist?
    Gone With The Wind?
    High Noon?
    Chinatown?
    etc, etc

5. dali

dali Member

"Bringing up baby", "All about Eve", "The great dictator", "Scarlet Street", "The asphalt jungle", "Citizen Kane", "October", "Metropolis", "Intolerance", "Arsenic and old lace", "One, two, three", "Sunset Boulevard", "The killing", "The wild bunch", "Spartacus", "Gallipoli", "Jason and the Argonauts", "Freaks", "The front page", "The Passion of Joan of Arc" (the original one by Carl Theodor Dreyer), "The seventh seal", the "Three colors" trilogy by Kieslowski, "Psycho", "The Rope", "Vertigo", "Close encounters of the third kind", "Gilda", ... Well, I could go on for years.

You know, Rad, some people just find it difficult to think of the classics when claiming that some film is one of the best ones ever shot. Anyhow, Dela is still young and I'm sure he loves the medium for real, so he'll have time to watch all these movies tons of times <evil-evil-grin> ;)

Braveheart is a good movie. I liked it. But there's too many pictures out there to say that it's one of the best ones ever made. Apart from this point, it's good entertainment, of course, and the script is also fine, but I think they altered a bit its "presumably historical" background like in Gladiator (did anyone else find this movie quite boring, like I did?)

Please, Dela, don't kill me for this X-)

6. Dela

Gladiator wasn't great. As for that new bond movie yuck!!!. Its really bad. Just watch it and you'll see what I mean.

dali, I've seen most of those movies cause my brother loves old stuff. Personally, I think that movies are loosing their touch completely. I mean think about it, old horror doesnt scare anyone now and new horror sucks too!!

Oh and BTW, the exorcist was probably one of the worst movies I have ever seen horror wise but one of the best comedy wise :)

7. VCDjunkie

don't take dela's word that braveheart is one of the greatest movies ever, just remember that it won almost every movie award the year it came out.. everything from best picture, to best lead actor, best soundtrack, you name it and it won..

8. Dela

Thanx for the backup m8 :)

9. dali

dali Member

lol, Dela :)

You're right. Old stuff doesn't scare anymore, but, do you think recent presumably scary movies do, actually? It's all about cheap tricks and/or blood and gore. Hey, I like many gore movies. Brain Dead and Evil Dead trilogy are great, but I just can laugh watching them. That kind of thing doesn't scare anyone, does it? In fact, does it even pretend to do it?

Old spooky movies themselves have lost their touch... Well, that's true, but they haven't lost their charm :)

Did you like 'Signs', btw?

VCD: Of course, even if it wasn't an exageration, everyone is free to say whatever he or she wants. This forum would be empty if that wasn't true! :)

10. Dela

Nah there is no such thing as a scary movie nowadays and yes i always laugh at gore, what else can you do?

Signs was a good movie because it was eery but its the first film that has been eery now in a long time. I was a bit disappointed though with the ending. I mean, I didnt want your typical "Uncle Sam ordering an assault and saving the world" but it could have ended a bit better than that!

11. dali

dali Member

lol again X-)

Gore... Well, some people would consider it nasty. Of course, I don't. I like it. Funny thing is to know that Sam Raimi is the one behind both Evil Dead and Spider-man. Not talking about Pete Jackson and The Lord of the Rings. One could expect some really gore battles there having watched "Bad Taste" and "Brain Dead" :)))

James Bond stinks. He's absolutely out-of-date! Triple X shows us how that character should have evolved :p

I liked Signs a whole lot. And it's one the few movies in which Mel Gibson keeps his underwear on -- I'm sorry for the girls. The ending still sucks a bit because of a couple of things:

1.- I don't like churchmen.
    2.- There was no need of showing us the E.T.

Nice movie anyway. M. Night Shyamalan is a very good director (IMHO).

12. Dela

xXx wasn't great now I must say. Tis a lot better than die another day but just as impossible as it. Vin Diesel isn't the best actor to hit planet earth eith but then again I suppose most new actors arent!

I agree that there was no need to show the alien at the end of signs because it made it stupid that it was the exact same one that he....... oops sorry didnt realise some ppl might not have seen it lol. But anyway, the first time you see one was creepy enough so they should have left it at that!

13. VCDjunkie

Dali, are you really surprised that the discussion of this post hasn't gone off subject? This website revolves around a bunch of movie buffs, considering that many of us download new movies almost every day, and/or RIP/convert.. sheesh.

& Thanks for not giving away the ending of Signs, I still haven't seen it yet!

14. Dela

Actually VCD, I had it typed out but then I realised the amount of people who would be viewing this thread so the last thing i wanted was a load of pm's tellin me im a w@nker for giving away the ending. lol :)

15. dali

dali Member

Sorry if I drop any clue for the ending of Signs, guys. Not my intention at all. What are you waiting for, anyhow? It's a great movie, you'd better be watching it instead of reading this message X-)

VCD: It was just a silly joke concerning the radical topic changes that go happening in other threads as the number of posts grows. Of course I'm glad we're still talking about movies. That's one of the reasons why I'm a dawner :)

xXx shows us impossible featured action, yes, but what's the point in making an action movie without such scenes? When you go to see one of those films, you already know what you'll get. The snowboarding sequence is so spectacular that it doesn't matter if it is absolutely unbelievable. Simply unplug your brain and enjoy :)

About the awards: Neither Vin Diesel nor Rob Cohen will get any award (well, maybe an Anti-Oscar, they will), but who cares about that? The English Patient won lots of Oscars and I think it was one of the worst movies of that year. Since both of them are stupid and unbelievable, at least xXx provides some fun!

Don't misunderstand me. As I said above, I like "serious" films, good direction, good script, good performances, and I love the classics. But I also like to unplug my brain from time to time! :)))

16. Dela

Well I suppose xXx wasn't half as bad as Die Another Day anyway. Die another day had scenes that were toooooo imposible to actually enjoy them. In the cinema, all I could hear was moaning when he was surfing with the parachute and when he droped the helicopter out the back of a plane and got it to start b4 he hit the ground. Also, no-one could pickup women that easy. Its phyiscally impossible. Ah I'd give the film a 3 because of the women in it! :)

17. VCDjunkie

and that is why I like Austin Powers Goldmember.. it makes such fun of the James Bond 007 type movies, and is a great break from reality in a much funnier sense..

BTW Dali, don't take me too seriously.. I kid around a lot ;-)

18. Dela

Austin Powers rules the first time you see the movies. They loose their touch after a few views!

19. dali

dali Member

Of course I can't take you seriously for any longer, VCD! You just said you like Austin Powers movies! Thank you for the feedback X-)

The first release had, let me think, one good joke. The second movie had about two or three (the one with the shadows in the tent was really funny). As I've been told, the third part is the worst by far. Even Britney Spears appears on it!

If you see the trailers, you've seen all the supposedly funny stuff in the movies. But, for even the trailers are horrible themselves, what else remains?

I think that James Bond movies are really easy to make fun of, but, for me, Austin Powers doesn't manage to do so.

In fact, I think Mike Myers should ask for medical assistance. He must have a very damaged brain. Until brain transplants are viable, he should stop making movies. Please, Mike, let me keep the little sanity I have left!

Definitely, xXx is a much better approaching to an actual James Bond parody.

20. VCDjunkie

ahh.. I see that you didn't partake in a ritual smoke out before watching the Austin Powers movies.. they are not to be taken seriously, and are great for those couch parties where everybody is recovering from their last bong hit!

;-)