1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I start AV -DV to DVD

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by wilesb, Oct 6, 2004.

1. wilesb

wilesb Member

Hi Guy's for months now I have been trying to gather enough information to purchase the right Hardware and Software required to move my AV Video to DVD. After doing so I have found it a "very deep whole".

To start, I would like to get a good capture card and editing SW that covers both AV and DV. I was looking at the Pinnacle Studio 9 but have read some troubling stuff on your forum.

I do not want to create full length pictures but do want to be able to cut and paste bits of video to create say a 21st DVD.

Second, I also need to purchase a DVD writer. I have read a lot about dual layer and would like to be able to both create home DVD and back-up my commercial DVD library.

Your thoughts and suggestions will be most welcome before I commit to SW and HW.

Oh, sorry I have looked at DVD recorders as well, and think a PC based option is best. Do you agree.

Once I get that far I am sure there will be many more questions.

2. Frankwm

Frankwm Member

Firstly, you need to give some indication as to how much you are prepared to spend on this, since there are dozens of AV capture devices and even more software available.

You may want to look at what these guys have to offer http://www.canopus.com/Index.asp . The hardware is pretty good and some of it comes with quality bundled software.

You definately need PC based for the editing tasks you intend to perform.

3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2004
  4. wilesb

wilesb Member

Hi guy's, thanks for your support, I guess I could have provided more information. Anyway what i have done is purchased a Sony DRU-710A as it seems to support both -R and +R formats. I have no need for DVD-Ram.

Tell me if I am crazy but step two is to purchase a DVD recorder like the Sony RDR-GX7. I figure I can copy my Video either AV or DV to a RW disk, and then use the disk to transfer the videa via the PC drive. I am hoping I can then edit and re-burn to the PC drive.

I am not wanting to produce proffessional DVD's rather capture my home video with basic editing facilities.

What do you think.

5. wilesb

wilesb Member

Hi I have progressed somewhat and have read up lots. I am using Smart Ripper to get the vob files from the DVD, however when I use Ulead Studio 8 to try and create a movie I can not get sound. I can get sound if I use Nero or simple editing SW such as Microsoft Movie Maker.

I have read and read on this and can not see why I do not get audio when I use Ulead. Can you tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks.