1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which backup software should I choose?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by nemir, Mar 20, 2005.

1. nemir

nemir Member

I have just bought myself a couple of cd games. One uses SafeDisc 2.x (HOMM IV) and the other users SafeDisc 3.x (LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth).

I have been reading around to try to find the best way to make a fully functional backup of these games and came across the guide in the sticky here, but it left me with a couple of questions.

It seems that the most popular and easiest tool to use is Alcohol 120%. The above guide says that this tool doesn't know how to read/write the 'pre-gap' in SecureRom protected discs. Will this make perfect copies? It seems that this article is a little outdated and I am wondering if Alcohol 120% has been updated to incorporate this? If this doesn't, what current tools are available for this job?

Thanks!

Nemir

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

It all depends if you have a 2 sheep burner or not. Heres a guide to see if you have a 2 sheep burner http://www.petemoore.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/guides/pc-cdrom/sheeptest.htm

As far as Heroes of Might and Magic IV being a Safedisc 2.90.040 protection, we can get you going with Alcohol 120%.

LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth is a dvd and can not be backed up onto another dvd-+R as of yet, but you can use Alcohol to create the image and use daemon tools to mount the image to its virtual drives since Alcohol 120 blacklisted this game from its virtual drives (or vis versa)

I have been able to make perfect backups of Securom games using Alcohol 120 and my trusty Pioneer DVR-109 burner, so I guess if your burner is EFM capable or not (2 sheep burner) will make the difference of a perfect backup.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'd give my recommendations to BlindWrite. It's a very powerful and capable application. BlindWrite5 is exceptionally good at SecuROM especially if you use a Plextor Premium.

4. nemir

nemir Member

I actually have a CD ROM version of BAttle for MIddle Earth. ^_^

I will download Blindwrite demo and try it.... I have just used Alcohol to create copies of HOMM IV. Does all those read errors mean it is still having troubles reading the pre-gap? (I have read lots of posts that say something along the lines of "it's cool to ignore those read errors" but none that tell me why I can ignore them, and what they actually mean.)

I have done the tests on my LIte-On Combo CDR and can now happily state that it is a sheep 2 device (though sadly, it seems it isn't a sheep 3 device - I am finding hard to avoid jokes here, does anyone else find all this talk of sheep hard to resist? ;-}).

THe mothod I have chosen for my backups is to use Alcohol 120%, and just make images using the image wizard, selecting the Safedisc 2/3 setting. Seems to be great so far. I am just wondering if this is a 'perfect' copy, or a functioning copy. I will try to do the same with my LOTR cds now.

Thanks for the responses guys!!

Chau

Nemir

5. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

No, its all part of the process with backing up Safedisc.

You don't have to ignore them...you can site there and talk to them if you want :D

As I stated above it's al part of the process.

Thats great ta hear -nemir- Then you should have no problems creating perfect backups with out any Emulation.

Another great thing to hear! Glad you seem to be getting this whole thing down!!!

A perfect copy means you don't need any type of emulation involved to be able to play the backup.

I have the DVD version and I never heard of or saw a cd version available so good luck and post back your findings.

Later Skater

6. nemir

nemir Member

Yep, no emulation is what I am after. ^_^

Well, they seemed positive at first, but I came across a problem.

I get through 97% of the game installation before it barfs on me sying that it can't read terrain.big.

I tried burnign a new disc4, and then I tried using a mounted image, but both gave me the same problem.

Is there something that I am missing here?

I will try making an entirely new image from the original and see if that is any better, but I have little confidence.

Regards,

Nemir

7. nemir

nemir Member

Well, the good news is that recreating a new image of disc 4 seemed to solve that install problem I was having.

I downloaded an app to check the copy protection on it and it said none. I assume that is normal for multi-disc titles, they only put hte protection on the first disc...?

The bad news is that whenever I try to run the game, it says that there's a problem with game.dat and won't start. My research suggests that this is the file that is encrypted in the safedisc copy protection, which in turn suggests that this copy isn't quite right.

Is there anything different to do with alcohol 120% with safedisc 3 instead of safedisc 2? I am trying hard to follow the guide in teh sticky post for 2.x, but I think it hasn't been updated in ages. It doesn't even mention 3.x for example.

I will try out blindwrite next. ^_^

THanks!

Nemir

8. Nephilim

Try these setting for SecuROM:

Open BlindWrite5 Tweaker and you should be looking at the Basic Settings tab where you'll want the following settings:

[​IMG]

Now click on the Topology tab and use these settings:

[​IMG]

You can get BlindWrite Tweaker here:

http://nephilim.ccsau.info/tweaker.exe

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  9. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

@ nephilim: nemir needs the settings for safedisc 3.x :p

@ nemir: i had teh same problem as you now have for backing up sf3. but i simply used teh same settings as for safedisc 2.xx and it has always been working for me (call of duty for example). if you don't get a good copy with alcohol you should try to set both read and write speeds to lowest if have'nt done that already. this seems to very important for a fine back up.
    normally alcohol120% shpuld do the trick for any safedisc 3.xx protection..

and yes, it is usual that only (mostly the play-disc) one cd is protected.

good luck

10. Nephilim

I need to start doing drugs so I at least have an excuse for some of the things I post.

BW5 isn't able to back up SafeDisc 3.20.022 which Battle for Middle Earth uses so you'll need to try BW 4.57 which does a fantastic job with these settings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  11. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

how comes bw 4.5 backs it up and bw5 doesn't anymore?

and: is bw5 better than v4.xx for backing up securom protected games? can it back up dvd?

12. Nephilim

Technically speaking I can't honestly tell you why 4.57 works better for SafeDisc 3.20.022 but from experience it does.

BW5 is still the best for SecuROM and is able to back up DVDs :)

13. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

hmm ok thanks m8, i'll give bw5 a try then next time i get a scurom game. alcohol is always causing some trouble with that protection, for me at least

14. Nephilim

SecuROM definitely isn't A120's strong suit.