1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD burner do you recommend?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by aggies1, Jan 22, 2005.

1. aggies1

aggies1 Member

Just starting out with DVD. Looking at which model to buy. Whats your opion on the following I found at the local FutureShop.

BenQ DW1610 16X DVD+/-RW Internal Drive
    BenQ DW1620 16X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Internal Drive
    LG 16X Super Multi DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Internal Drive
    HP DVD420VI 8X DVD+/-RW Internal Writer

Thanks, Mark

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello aggies1, I have the benq 1620. It was built for iomega and $40.00 after rebate last after thanksgiving day sale at staples.

This baby burns everything I slap in it. Mainly mcc,ricohjpn,sony,and mxl-rgo2. + and -,no problem. The blank dual layer discs are still too pricey for my budget.The best part,my backups are playing on a lot more stand alone players than my other khypermedia +8x.The current firmware I have is b7c9.There are more current firmware updates available but I won't revert to them until I run into problems.

Sony +1-8x,I can get 16x out of them. Verbatim +8x,mcc003,I can get 12x.

HP burners, I haven't heard many good things about them,I wouldn't recommend.Lg,haven't heard much.

Here's a list of the top 6 in no particular order, Pioneer,plextor,nec,benq,lite-on,and sony. The nec 3500a is pretty good for the money. You'll get a lot more info from fellow members. Someone will probably get you a better price.
    Good Luck with any of these High Quality burners,whichever you choose.

3. aggies1

aggies1 Member

Thanks saugmon. I appreciate the comments. Some of the language you use, i.e. I guess its file formats, does not click, but i will earn! I see from many threads the user guides are excellent on the site, so i will investigate further. One other quick question...I currently just have a cd burner in the top compartment of my cpu, when i get the DVD burner should i swap spots and place my old cd burner in the bottom, secondary slot. I just heard that from somewhere, is there any sense in that?

Cheers,

Aggies

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey aggies, i'd take out the cd-rom.I have a lite-0n 167t dvd rom for my ripping and the benq for the burning. This will save a lot of wear and tear on that new burner. I have my dvd-rom set as secondary master and the benq set as secondary slave.This is working very sweeeeet! No more waiting for my original dvd to kick out and replace a blank dvdr in the tray. My benq and nero does an awesome job on my music cd-r's.Music cd burning and backing up my original dvd movies is all I do.I gave $40 bucks at walmart for the lite-on sohd-167t dvd-rom.well worth it.I have been checking on hacked firmware for this unit and I found out sony made the 167t.

+ "plus" and - "dash" formats are used in dvd burning. By using a dual-format burner like most of those brands I mensioned earlier manufacture, You have more flexibility when you play those backup dvdr's in your stand alone players.

6. la_muerte

la_muerte Member

i buy a dvd rw, it burns +R and -R, but I dont sure if it burns DL. I chek on the internet but i did not fine the info.

the burner is LG model GWA-4161B. I fine that this model dont burns RAM.

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

BenQ 1620 :)

8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-r for newbies to guess where? .... dvd±r drives*

9. aggies1

aggies1 Member

Thanks for all your suggestions. After making a whole series of coasters, of different brands I decided to return the BenQ. I actually got an LG burner with better specs for 30$ cheaper. I thinks its a better burner, no problems with two brands of media so far.

Thanks Aggies

10. goodjam

goodjam Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello all..I'm new so be gentle...I purchased the BENQ 1620 about a week ago as a BARE unit..Which probably was my 1st mistake. 2nd I'm not the brightest when it comes to my pc.. But with that said I removed a NEC 1200ad which worked ok..But the problems I've had with the BENQ leaves me trully frustrated..I've wasted at least 15 discs on this unit and will be returning it ASAP.
    I'm thinking about having them replaced it with a brand new one with installation software and that may solve the problem..If not another unit, maybe the NEC 3250a.

Any recommedations would be greatly appreciated..

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello goodjam, When I got mine,I didn't use the nero that came with it.I used it on my backup pc.No driver disc was in it. xp automatically recognized it.

Do you have the master/slave/or cable-select jumped just like your nec-1200?

What media are you using and how fast are you trying to burn it?

This is a different burner,therefore it may like a different media than that nec.

Both + and - maxell 4x's are working great. Sony +1-8x's are awesome. My last batch of them sony's are ty's.Verbatim mcc002 and mc003 are great. The only media I had any trouble with were verbatim -4x digital movie quality.1 burn error out of the first 2. I'm going to give the last 3 to my buddy who has the nec 2510.Thank god I only bought the 5 pack to try out.Ricohjpn-01 are also working great. No standalone issues like I had on my backup burner.I absolutely refuse to buy poor,generic,memorex,and store brand name media like staple's brand.

Not counting those dash verbs, I am burning at about 98% success rate.The few coasters I did have were more related to hardware issues,black screen of death,lol.My main pc is in the shop for these reasons.

Download the free trial,if still available, to check that media code and you can run an error scan on your backup discs. http://www.dvdinfopro.com

If your media checks out decent,you may have gotten a bad drive,shi* happens.Maybe the mailman dropped it or it was built on a friday,lol

12. goodjam

goodjam Member

Thanks for reply

It's probably a combination of inexperience on my part more then anything.
    Master slave set up...I saw u suggested making them secondary drives..I think I can figure that out.
    Running windows 2000.
    I'll try and burn thru the low rated disc I have with the NEC-1200ad.
    Still plan on returning for a new model and startg from scratch.
    Thanks