1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Player to choose...Philips vs. Samsung?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by pio4030, Jul 10, 2009.

1. pio4030

pio4030 Regular member

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap dvd player that plays everything and am familiar with the different format capabilities. I was looking to spend $60 tops but have found two dvd players for under that already. I own a Philips DVD player and it works great so I am leaning toward the Philips DVD player. I have googled reviews and have not really come across anything on these. They are $5 apart at Walmart ($40-Samsung & $45-Philips) Now, my two choices are:

Philips DVP 3982 or Samsung DVD-P191

Both play everything including Divx (important). This Samsung is a newer model (confirm?) Which is better to buy which offers more with better reliability? I am also considering hacking in so it plays any regions. I do not know if both can be made region free so that's one of my questions. The Philips has HDMI capability which I would take advantage eventually but not now because I have an older television.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Avoid the philips.. it will be region locked and all kinds of crap.. I guess the samsung might be the same. The best dvd players are the cheapest.. pacific.. dansai.. junk like that. They make them the same for a worldwide market and they are usually everything free. divx compatibility comes at a price.. usually that price is region lock ...

3. davexnet

davexnet Active member

4. pkl

pkl Member

Hi,

I picked up the p191 a few days ago at Walmart and I can confirm for you that the region hack that is readily available online (posted by an Australian user, I think) does NOT work on it. Other that that it's a good player with nice picture quality, compact size, good MP3 player capability, etc. You typically do not get any LED display at this price, but the Samsung has one. I haven't tried DivX. I'd like to keep it except that region-free is essential to me. If anyone finds a successful p-191 hack for the US, please post it here!

If you're willing to spend a little more, the Philips 5990 (or 5992) is available at Best Buy and I'm confident based on reports that the hacks for it will work. This one is upscaling, DivX, and it has a USB port.

PK

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  5. richsmith

richsmith Guest

hi,
    i have the experience of samsung as well the philips. both are of good quality philips is costlier and gives great result. you can choose philips.

6. scum101

scum101 Guest

Go to wallyworld and buy a Dual upscaler (£25) or a Pacific all region (£14)

No difference in picture quality from looking at these or ones costing 5x as much.