1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which resolution to use?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Phunky, Apr 25, 2003.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

I'm new to converting DVD into Divx and I'm a little confused as to which resolution to use when resizing in VirtualDub. The guide found one this site talks about a resize value of 640x360(352 when cropping) for 16:9 movies, but most of the films I've downloaded so far has different resolutions.
    576x388, 640x272, and 608x336 are among the different resolutions that I've found so far.
    Almost all of my DVD's seems to be 16:9.
    The guide also talks about using a 640x512 setting for 4:3 movies, but when I did this I ended up with a Divx with wide black stripes on both sides. The output monitor in VirtualDub was also quite bigger than the input monitor.
    Hope someone can explain this to me.

2. crfenoli

crfenoli Member

IT depends on what you want to do with the file. If you want to convert the avi file so it can be burned with nero, etc. to a VCD then you need a resolution of 352 X 240 so your DVD player will play it. Or you can take the avi file and create a MPEG-2 with tmpgencoder which will convert it to the proper format. Also, remember you are going to have to cut these files to put them on a CD at least I do. You can use Virtual dub for Avi files or MPEG splitter for MPEG2 files. Hope this helps. I have been doing this for awhile and I still have tons of problems from time to time so don't feel bad.