1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which side up with fan on psu??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by unsure, Oct 20, 2004.

1. unsure

unsure Member

this might sound like a silly questions but which way is the 2nd fan(the one that sucks) supposed to face.downwards towards the cpu,or on top towards the case.(theres hardly any room bewteen the case&fan if facing upwards)thanks

2. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

If it's an exhaust fan (ie to suck out the warm air) then it should be facing outwards, otherwise it aint gonna do much sucking is it, and thats 1 sucker you really want ;)

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

presuming you have a tower case, the 2nd fan will point downtowards the motherboard, if you have a desktop case like mine then the fan will point up, besides the 4 screws that mount the power supply into the case determines whichway ps mounts as 2 of the screws are closer together horizontal than the other 2 screws.

4. unsure

unsure Member

i have a midi tower case. i can fit the psu either way as there seems to be lots of holes for the screws to fit.i have it fitted with the fan that sucks,upwards at the moment which is probably wrong way round, i just thought that was the "right" way as the writings on the back of the unit was the right way up to read in this position if you know what i mean.i will turn it round & see if the temp drops.thanks

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

unsure, you have it installed correctly. I have a tower, and the fan is pointing upwards, the way it is supposed to be pointing.

6. ddp

i've seen fans pointing down

7. unsure

unsure Member

i have turned the fan(the one that sucks)so its facing downwards facing the m/b.dont see any change/drop in temps.should i change it back to it original position,or just leave it.thanks

8. ddp

leave it where it is, as you have 2 fans:1 that blows out & the 2nd sucks in air , the 2nd sucks hot air from case & the 1st blows it out of the case besides blowing hot air generated by ps. it is just like having a fan at the front of case sucking air in & the ps fan blowing the hot air out, besides the sucker fan is right next to your cpu so it is pulling hot air of it besides the cpu fan

9. unsure

unsure Member

ok ddp ill leave it as it is. thanks

10. ddp

you welcome & have fun computing