1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Transcoding Tools Produce The Best Picture Quality.

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Sophocles, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 64026402

64026402 Active member

Soon it will be ice storms for me. WHeeee!
    No power, no heat, and 10 degrees. At least no hurricanes:{)

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I did that last summer, it was my neighbors trees that was putting on the fireworks show. He eventually lost his line and he was without power for 4 days. Some of the teachers I work with were without power for almost a week.

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Ok brobear I know you're occasionally in touch with your "hummph, choke, gulp, gasp, sigh" gentler side. LOL

4. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

The storms are doing more dammage then one would believe hope this is not a pateran in the making.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.[/small]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Just heard a tranformer blow across the streat, it crashed my pc. I still have power but I keep losing my posts when the power fluctuates.

6. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Ummm...I trust you have an inline surge protector? Last year I lost everything...mobo, CPU and HDD all at once. Word was someone crashed into a nearby power pole.

I now have a BU power supply with built-in surge protection. It was one of those things that was expensive, and hard to spend money on, but definitely cheaper than replacing a whole system again.

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I have two APC's with surge protection and insurance.

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Doc

If my PC was to take a dive I'd have a reason to build a new one. Hmmm! Not this time! I installed the new ATI HDTV Wonder on Thursday and the picture on my 22" Viewsonic is awesome.

9. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I'll have to check into that one...the ATI. I like the backup PS because it switches on when there's a power failure...and I get a lot of those...and so anything that is in the works keeps on working, like a long CCE encode. It also gives me a reason to switch out a car battery every two years, and not just when it gets to the point of not starting on a cold winter morning.

I thought any kind of power fluctuation could be potentially damaging? Such as not having enough power could cause problems also?
    www.zentarium.com

Last edited: Dec 13, 2004
  10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Not having eough power will crash the system and so will fluctuations. So far its survived bad weather from 4 hurricanes.

11. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Sophocles,

ATI does make some nice TV Cards. I have a TV Wonder Pro. The picture from this card far outsurpasses every other simular card I have seen. I can only imagine how good the HD version of there card looks.

12. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I expected that the picture was going to be better but it even exceeded that expectation. I'm getting 5 stations with the antenna that came with it and I'm now thinking of getting an external antenna to pickup the other 4 stations that are not coming in that well.

13. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Sophocles ,

It sounds like you are using a standard analog TV antenna. Why don't you hook up your cable to it. This is of course if a cable connection is available (NOT Using DSL)..

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Gnomex

Cable is not an option, believe it or not the broadcasted signals carry a wider bandwidth overall and often better picture quality. I just need a better antenna. With a better antenna I'll recevie a PBS (WEDU) station, NBC, CBS, ABC, WD, a local station, and UPN. I'm already getting wedu, nbc, cbs, abc and wd with my HD antenna.

15. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

Sophocles,

Not the anser I expected. Can you use a powered antenna? I will have to check out what a HD card looks like (in-use).

16. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Well...I half expected that answer. There's no reason to subscribe to cable because of the movies they offer. The only other reason would be to get better reception for the news and educational channels. If you don't get that, well... Quite frankly, aside from the news, about the only TV I do watch are things like Discovery, etc.

17. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Gnomex

I have a powered antenna and it doesn't do as well as the HD antenna. For those stations I do get the picture is amazing, no snow of any kind. I think that all TV stations have to be HD ready by 2006. That would mean that I will be able to pick up 9 to 11 HD stations. I will be able to get about 7 right now. I'm going to get a larger external antenna with an actuator, that should be more than enough for my needs. I'm looking at mostly watching the Jim Lehrer news hour, and recording some concerts from PBS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.