1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are my dvd's stuttering/jamming on playback?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Scuddsy, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Scuddsy

Scuddsy Member

I am using dvd shrink/nero 6 to burn to dvd-r, and almost all have problems, with freezing up, stuttering, pixellation at various times throughout the movie. I am using verbatim discs, so it can't be the quality there. What am I doing wrong? The progammes (dvd shrink/nero) have no error messages, and am trying to limit the compression in longer movies (usually can get to at least 79%. Some movies have the occasional glitch, however most are just not worth watching. What can I do?

2. Manngo

Manngo Member

Can be:
    1. media problem. check http://www.videohelp.com how your standalone eats verbatim. Can try an other media. 2. DVD-/+ supporting question. (my player eats only DVD+R but not DVD-R) When I play DVD-R it is choppy, or does not play at all.
    3. Too high bitrate. Maybe your standalone cant stand high bitrate close to the upper limit (9,8 mbps). Some players can display actual bitrate on the TV screen. Try watching it. or you can download bitrate viewer from http://teco.emg.hu/bitratev/BV.EXE and open the vob file(s) on your dvd to see maximum bitrate. You should not see a higher max than 9800 kbps.

Let we know, if you find out something.

3. Phun

Phun Member

my ps2 did that also cause it wasn't compatable because i have a certain model # or something but i just went to walmart and got a emerson EWD-7003 and it works great with dvd+r's

4. GameBoy™

GameBoy™ Member

Hi I am also having this same problem, can anyone please en-lighten me on why this is happening? please :eek:)

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

Try using DVD Info Pro to get the manufacturer ID off the Verbatims. There are different grades of Verbatims that come from different manufacturers.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

@GameBoy,

It would help to know what software, methods and media you're using :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2004
  6. JOHN0114

JOHN0114 Member

I had the same problem. so i quit using nero. i use dvd shrink and dvd decrypter which automatically launces after shrink is done and its just a one button click to burn it to a blank dvd. also in shrink i save the image to my hard drive as an ISO. i dont know if it helps or not but i run anyDVD in the background. also i upgraded to a bigger hard drive which could have helped also, had 20G went to 120G. I havent had a problem since.

7. GameBoy™

GameBoy™ Member

All my info is in sig *look down* :eek:)

8. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Gameboy,

I see you are using "Mirror Platinum" Dvd+r, this may be your problem. Is that the manufacturer? Using DVDInfoPro will tell us who actually made it.

_
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Toshiba Satellite
    P4 HT 2.6 Ghz
    1 Gb PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    NEC Nd-1300a External
    0 to Burn in 22 Minutes

DVD Collection - http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/roeod4[/small]

9. GameBoy™

GameBoy™ Member

yes the manufacturer is "Mirror" http://www.mirrorproducts.com
    they are suppose to be a high quality disk :eek:)

i have DVDInfopro, but i dont know how to use it properly, i placed a blank DVD+R in drive and this is the info it produced -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

GameBoy,

Having two burners on the same ide cable isn't recommended. If they are, remove the cdrw and make it a slave on a seperate cable.

11. Maxx_D

Maxx_D Member

I had the exact same problem using the exact same software. I was able to solve the problem by burning the DVD's at 1x... it takes a little longer but at least they work.

12. flip218

Maxx_D,

What are your IDE settings?

13. GameBoy™

GameBoy™ Member

@Flip218,
    yes there on seperate IDE cables :eek:)

@Maxx_D,
    I tried that but there was no difference in quality there still jumping and stt_utt_ering... lol :eek:)

This is driving me mad... argh!! *Chuckles*

14. michigan

michigan Guest

Try some Ritek G04's it sounds like classic bad media

15. Scuddsy

Scuddsy Member

"2. DVD-/+ supporting question. (my player eats only DVD+R but not DVD-R) When I play DVD-R it is choppy, or does not play at all. "

Maybe this is it...my dvd burner says diamond data dvdr/rw dvd+rewritable, however all dvd players here are dvd-r compatible. I have no problems copying onto both dvd+r and DVD-r, its just the playback on external dvd players (+r not recognised, some/most -r choppy. My Bali dvd's copy without problems, though, since I don't need to shrink them usually, and have used nero for that. I am soo confused!!

16. flip218

Scuddsy,

Manngo provided a great link in the second post. Check your dvd players for compatible media.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

17. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Gameboy,

From what I can see that is pretty poor quality media to be using. Everyone has had really mixed results, but most agree that it is a poor grade. This may be your problem. Using good quality media is the only way to go. Not only will bad media cause the problems you have been having, but it also goes bad fast. Try Ritek, Verbatim, or Prodisc media this may solve most of your problems. You can also go to the Media Forum
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/47
    and see what others are using and may recommend.

18. PFCblue

PFCblue Member

Scuddsy have you managed to resolve your problem yet? I have the same problem, but the replies to your question aren't very helpful.

I've searched the forums but haven't found anything that can point me in the right direction for a resolution.

19. PFCblue

PFCblue Member

btw my DVD media info is PRODISC R03

20. Scuddsy

Scuddsy Member

I am not having as many problems since I have changed media, and also i have been using dvd decrypter, saving to my pc, and then using dvd shrink to re-author,(seems to be less stuttering than just using dvd shrink - probably one in 4 stutter, rather than 3 in 4 previously). Not entirely happy though, but other than spending aussie $10 per blank disk, I don't know what to do. At a dead end really...