1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did you choose Blu-ray over HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by HDextreme, Aug 24, 2007.

1. tddk

tddk Member

I am just new to the forum, however, there seems to be too many rumors going around regarding bluray and hd dvd. So, from the research I have gathered, I am presenting the TRUTH. Not rumors, but actual facts to point out which format is superior as of today. With that said, bluray, like every other sony product, has the potential for being the best, but just isnt there yet...

1. Better studio Support. I have included both segments of the hd dvd and bluray wikipedia articles about their studio support.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
    HD DVD

HD DVD Promotion Group Member List contains the main promoters of HD DVD, namely Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo, Microsoft, RCA, Kenwood, Intel, Venturer Electronics and Memory-Tech Corporation. The HD DVD format is also non-exclusively supported by Acer, Asus, HP, Hitachi Maxell, LG, Lite On, Onkyo, Meridian, Samsung,[67] and Alpine.

In terms of major studios in North America, HD DVD is currently exclusively backed by Universal Studios (including subsidiaries Focus Features and Rogue Pictures), Paramount Pictures (including Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies, MTV Films, DreamWorks Pictures and DreamWorks Animation), The Weinstein Company (including Dimension Films), and First Look Studios.

The format is non-exclusively backed by Warner Bros. Pictures (it should be noted that a number of Warner's titles—Batman Begins, Constantine, Troy (excluding Troy: Director's Cut), V for Vendetta, The Perfect Storm, Poseidon, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, The Matrix Trilogy—are HD DVD exclusive at the present), New Line Cinema (it should be noted that some of New Line Cinema titles, the first being Hairspray, are announced as Blu-ray exclusive for limited time due to lack of region coding in HD DVD[68][69] [70]. All catalog titles will be released simultaneously in both formats), HBO, and Image Entertainment (including the Discovery Channel),[71] Magnolia Pictures,[72] Brentwood Home Video, Ryko, Koch/Goldhil Entertainment.[73]

Bluray
    Blu-ray Disc has gained a large amount of support in the corporate world,[77] with companies such as Apple, Dell, and Panasonic backing it. Blu-ray Disc was started by Hitachi, LG, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, and Thomson in February 19, 2002, with Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, and Philips as the back-bone of the foundation.[78] Several members of the Blu-ray organization's Board of Directors who had originally pledged to support Blu-ray Disc later also supported HD DVD, such as Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, and LG.

Among the movie studios, Blu-ray Disc is currently exclusively supported in the United States by Sony Pictures Entertainment and MGM (20% of MGM's stake is owned by Sony) as well as Disney, 20th Century Fox, and Lionsgate. Outside of the United States, movies from these studios are often distributed by different companies, such as StudioCanal in Europe. Thus many of these Blu-ray exclusive titles are available outside the U.S. on HD DVD.[79] Likewise, movies that are exclusive to HD DVD in the United States have Blu-ray releases in other regions. An example of this is the Universal Studios film Bruce Almighty, which has been released exclusively on HD DVD in the U.S., but has been released as a Blu-ray exclusive in Europe due to the distribution rights held by Buena Vista.[citation needed] Many Blu-ray discs are multi-region, making import of these titles easier.[80]

It is non-exclusively supported by Warner Bros., and New Line Cinema. Warner Bros. has several HD DVD exclusive titles at the moment that are scheduled for release on Blu-ray in the near future. It should be noted that some of New Line Cinema's titles, the first being Hairspray, were originally announced as limited time Blu-ray exclusives due to lack of region coding with HD DVD.[81][82] All future catalog titles will be released simultaneously in both formats.

What it comes down to

By reading both of those articles it is clear that both companies essentially have the same amount of studios backing them, and for the most part outside of the 2 major studios backing each side, the rest of the major studios publish for both formats. So clearly, neither side has more support, please do research before just posting what you heard from some random person.

2. PS3's gaming

Again, a true sign of fan boy is someone who attempts to spread information about their said product without supporting it with fact.

Here are two links from a LEAD GAME DESIGNER who described the PS3 compared to the XBOX 360 last year, and then again this year.

Last year:
    http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-348-1.htm
    This Year:
    http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/

Again, as far as gaming is considered, the playstation 3 has been the biggest let down. I know first hand as I waited in line at launch to get one, but it sits in my cabinet solely used for bluray movies, as my xbox 360 with hdmi is used far more often for gaming. The titles just arent there for PS3.

Check out sales too, the XBOX 360 has almost 3 times the total sales as a PS3 does. The wii doesnt count as next gen because those graphics are worse then a gameboy.

Being a game designer myself for THQ, I can say hands down, that the XBOX 360 is 1 million times easier to develop for then PS3, hence by being easier to work with, studios are attracted to developing for it, hence why it has better titles.

3)Disk capacity / scratch resistance.

Space means nothing if you use poor codecs to encode the data. No disc is scratch resistant, if you think that, then go grab your $35 copy of 300 and drag it on the sidewalk for a good minute. I will promise you, that the disc wont play.

Technically HD DVD has more space right now then bluray does, every bluray movie I know of is 25gb disc, every HD DVD I have is 30gb. So until sony starts shipping movies on 50gb discs, then flat out, HDDVD movies are on larger discs.

What it comes down to is simple, do research instead of just following what someone else says.

Flat out truth is:

HD-DVD is simply delivering higher bit-rates and overall better image quality, than Blu-ray is capable of with the combination of MPEG2 and 25GB Blu-ray discs.

With that being said, IF...big IF....sony decides to actually start caring about the quality of their movies, they will increase the transfer rate and codecs to increase the quality of their movies and start using the full potential of Bluray, then they will become superior.

BUT AS OF TODAY, HD DVD delivers higher quality images for all movies.

Tmrw is yet to come...

Proud owner of both HD DVD and Bluray.

Also for newbies to the tech, DONT BUY HD DVD or BLURAY if you have a TV less then 1080P, it just is a waste! Get an up converting player instead!