1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why have two dvd drives?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by REAM, Apr 18, 2007.

1. REAM

REAM Guest

if you have an all in one cdrom/dvdrom/cd-+rw/dvd-+rw(DL)

why get a dvd ROM drive. or if you are going to buy a dvd rom drive and dvd writer why, why do that, and why not get a full combo one?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

a few reasons.
    1. in case one goes bad you have a spare
    2. people who back things up can read from one and burn with the other and not have to switch discs inbetween.
    3. you have the open IDE slots, so why not use them.

I have two in mine but one is a burner and the other is only a DVD-Rom for reading them.

3. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

rom drives tend to read faster (good for gaming) and good quality ones read some pretty gnarly discs...much better than many burners do.

4. REAM

REAM Guest

when i put dvds in my all in one they lag quite a bit (factory pressed real dvds)...btu when playing files i have ripped and put on a virtual drive, work perfect. could this be my all in one drive. if so, any recomendations for a good dvdrom drive under £30?

5. steimy

steimy Active member

Samsung, Pioneer and NEC all make good drives
    Sony and Lite-On may ok drives.
    But it is reall not as easy to find a DVD-Rom these days since everyone buys the burners.
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=SH-D162c&category0=

I have the SATA version of that drive, The SH-D163A. Not sure if you are an Xbox or 360 owner but if you are this drive will come in REAL handy.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  6. billybob

billybob Regular member

Hey mate.

Main reason is, as mentioned above, (for me anyway), for when discs are being burnt/copied, you can put the disc you want to burn in the DVD ROM drive (the source drive :p), and the blank disc/s in the other Re-Writer drive/s.

Well thats my plan anyway LOL

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007