1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wich DVDA player has 24/96 on the spdif output?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by audiotone, Apr 7, 2007.

1. audiotone

audiotone Member

I am planning on buying a DVDA player, but I don't know wich one is capable of having 24/96 output on the spdif connection.

I have an external dac wich can accept 24/96 and I want to use it, so using the analog output on the dvda player is not an option...

I am aware that some dvda discs have an automatic restriction an will output 16/48, but I want to be sure for the other discs that I will get 24/96 on the spdif output.

anyone?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Playing back the 5.1 mixes the answer is simple - None of them.
    The *only* way to output the 5.1 mixes digitally is via HDMI or FireWire. SP-DIF & CoAx are consumer formats that cannot handle the bandwidth. You will get Stereo out from SP-DIF at 24/96 though - as long as the player supports it and the DVD-A was not created using CPPM set to CD quality, of course.
    FWIW, it makes absolutely no difference if you decode in the player or the amp. They are still going to be 24/192 DAC in the DVD-A player, and that is better than the 24/96 DAC in your amp.
    Additionally, with certain high end players, you will get a DAC for each pair of channels too - in your amp there will not be such a setup unless you are spending serious bucks.
    My Denon 3910 player has 4 24/192 DAC, one for L-R, One for C-LFE, one for Ls-Rs and another for Lo-Ro.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  3. audiotone

audiotone Member

thanks for your swift response.

I am not interested in 5.1, just stereo.
    I have to correct: my dac does 24/192. (altmann attraction dac)

Now I use a sample rate convertor (24/96) to feed my cd's to the dac.
    I am convinced that it makes sence (less stress)...at least that is what I am hearing.

The next step was to find some genuine 24/96 or higher resolution material.

That is why I considered DVDA.

but if there is not much software (discs) available or players that can output 24/96 then there is not much sense in buying another dvd player.

maybe I have to go for something like this:
    http://audiopraise.com/vanity/overview.php

what is your opinion?

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I would be extremely careful before spending money on something like this. It is usually a case of "Smoke & Mirrors", with little real - if any - benefit.
    Truth be told, the DAC in a high end DVD-A player is every bit (pun unintentional) as good as that in any Amplifier. Often even better.

There really is nothing wrong with using HDMI from a high end player into a suitably equipped amplifier, or FireWire (D-Link, i-Link etc).
    Alternatively, there are modification boards that can be bought & fitted to DVD-A players (Usually aimed at the low end of the market) that in addition to enabling digital multichannel output will also invalidate any warranty.
    HDMI really is the way to go if you canno0t face the thought of analogue out from the player into the amplifier - and believe me, this works & works well.

5. audiotone

audiotone Member

only problem is that there is no HDMI on my amplifier or dac...
    and I am not planning on bying some mediocre hometheatre stuff to replace my (in my opinion offcourse)first class dac and amplifier.
    I have been there before...gave it to my son.

maybe I have to design a hdmi to aes or spdif convertor...

anyway, thanks a lot for your response.

I begin to understand why nobody is bying scad and/or DVDA soft- or hardware:
    not very much choice in the catalog
    no real high rez connection possible.

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Limited choice of catalogue was entirely down to Sony/Philips splitting what was only ever going to be a niche market in their greed searching for the replacement to the exclusive CD royalties they had enjoyed coupled with Sony's refusal to share in anything but to own the formats they release on. Same shit is happening now with HD video.

As far as no digital connection, so what? It's all analogue at the speakers anyway. Why not take an analogue line out and amplify in a decent multichannel amp? We've been doing that for more years than I care to think of with no problems. As long as you are using high quality interconnects, there will be no quality loss

just my opinion though, for what it's worth!

7. jjolson

jjolson Member

Well, almost.

Meridian has their MHR, which transfers the encoded MLP over 3*S/P-DIF. But then both the DVD-A player and the processor/reciever has to be Meridian.
    Not everyone is a fan of interleaving audio data with video. D-Link, i-Link or MHR would be better.
    Several Meridian owners has a Pioneer from these guys for playing SACD: http://www.dvdupgrades.ch/digital_audio.html
    They say it's quite decent (though nowhere near a Meridian).
    [​IMG]
    If you don't have a Meridian, or something else that wants to keep everything digital, I agree that it's a sufficiently good solution to go analogue with a good external DAC.
    Sorry, you can't. You won't get a decryption key - especially not if you're building a gadget like that :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  8. audiotone

audiotone Member

9. jjolson

jjolson Member

Apart from the general level of prices in Switzerland, the DVDUpgrades upgrade is expensive because of the SACD/DSD decoding routines they have written. And it's good quality too. But it was also for me more than my very limited SACD use would justify.

10. audiotone

audiotone Member

This is not helping me any further...

I guess I must go back a few steps and buy a mediocre HDMI dvda player and amplifier to replace my first class dac and amplifier to be able to play half a dozen dvda discs (wich I like) in high resolution...

I think I will stick with the sample rate converted cd's...and my vinyl.

11. jjolson

jjolson Member

No, as wilkes wrote - bypass the DAC and take stereo analogue out of a DVD-A player directly into your amp. It will anyway be better than a CD played through your DAC.

...and I wonder if a Meridian DVD-Audio player can send their stuff decoded, I guess so...? One of their SPDIF's has L+R, you could leave the other ones disconnected. They are very expensive new, but the DVD-A players are much less expensive used since many of the owners want HD-DVD/Blu-ray instead...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  12. audiotone

audiotone Member

13. audiotone

audiotone Member

I see no reason to bypass my dac...never heard more music since I use it...
    And there is nothing out there on DVDA wich I do not already have on Vinyl or cd...
    And I have a sacd player here somewhere: same problem...nothing out there on sacd wich I do not have on Vinyl or cd...

For me it is the music that counts...not the technique used.

14. jjolson

jjolson Member

OK, excuse us for having tried to help you. You are totally contradicting yourself and I wonder why you started this thread - when you have no interest in DVD-Audio whatsoever, are not interested in audio technique, and can't hear any difference between original highres audio and upsampled CD...?

15. audiotone

audiotone Member

All help is very much appreciated...
    But I started this thread to find a dvda player wich will give me highrez output so I can remaster my vinyl collection on dvda...
    I am interested in any solution for my problem...
    I am not interested in bying a new system!
    And I would realy like to find some genuine high rez music wich can be played on my system.

If you could help me out on the dvda player wich will have 24/96 output for my remastered dvda's it will be very much appreciated.

16. audiotone

audiotone Member

BTW there is nothing wrong with my hearing but it seemes to me that it is not so evident to get an answer to a (what I thought was) a simple question.
    And it also is very unpleasant to see that we cannot agree to disagree...

17. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Audiotone,

You need to use the Analogue outs or the HDMI out.
    Why will you not accept that you are not going to get 24/96 down the SP-DIF output?
    Those mod cards will instantly invalidate any warranty, as you are trying to force a consumer interface to do something it was never designed to do - take the signal from the High Rez DVD-A disc.

Use the Analogue outs on the player, or HDMI (you do NOT need to send Video down the HDMI line) or D-Link/I-Link.

18. audiotone

audiotone Member

Wilkes,

thank you for the information.

19. audiotone

audiotone Member

Seemes this hdmi to toslink adaptor can do the job:
    http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3939

email from Gefen:
    >>>>
    You can get 2 channel 192khz. Hopefully this helps. If you have anymore questions feel free to email me anytime. Take care.

Anthony Cortez
    Techical Support and Sales
    Gefen Inc.
    6265 Variel Ave.
    Woodland Hills, CA 91367
    Tel. 818.884.6294 x263
    Fax 818.884.3108
    >>>>>>>>

but I am not shure "can" means it will...

20. audiotone

audiotone Member