1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wierd CDR drive problem

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by diashto, Jul 29, 2003.

1. diashto

diashto Member

Okay.. here's the issue..

WinXP, fully patched.
    (unknown brand) 48x12x48 drive.. think maybe verbatim but unsure, becuase i got it fer $20 after rebates at office depot
    Duron 900, 512mb ram, etc etc.

When i burn a CD.. if i'm burning it at any of the "MAX" speeds, the burn fails right after writing the leadin.

If i burn at, for example, 16x, the burn finishes fine, but chokes on the 'verify' portion.

If i cancel out of the verify... lo and behold.. it doesnt detect the CD in the drive... cant read it at all.

Also, if I put any burned CD in the drive, it wont read it.. retail cds are just fine though.

I've already forced it UDMA through device manager.. and now i'm stuck. :(

Device manager shows it as an ATAPI 48x24 CDRW drive if that makes any difference... also Nero only shows max speed of 40x.. which is odd, but not too much a problem i suppose.

Same problems were in Win98 when i had that loaded.. wouldnt read the CDs after burning with EZCD 5..

Anyone got any ideas?

2. diashto

diashto Member

slight update... did a search for D.IC because thats' what BIOS flipped it up as on bootup.. found out it's most likely a BenQ drive.. downloaded D.SC firmware.. and viola! I successfully burn at 40x! (still unable to hit 48x.. wonder why.. hmm..)

However... whne i put my freshly burned CD in the exact same drive... it's not detected... as in.. i go to my computer and it's nto listed.

I can put the CD in the other drive and it opens fine.. so that's a blessing i guess...

Any other ideas?

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

It would probably be your media being incompatible with 48x! Also, could it be ASPI?

4. diashto

diashto Member

It might be.. but i thought Nero didnt use an aspi layer, or rather, used its own..

And i believe the media that i'm using is labelled certified 52x.. not entirely positive on that one - i would figure it wouldn't matter anyway..

Would that windows update thing that i saw a couple posts back do anything for me, or is that rolled into the service packs? If so, what's that URL again?

Anyone else got any ideas? I'm really curious to see if i can get this thing working to it's fullest capacity..

5. Tholak

Tholak Member

Well. I got Sony 48x media and i can't burn them at 48x cause nero says they can only be burned at 32x.

I even tried cd speed of nero. It goes upto 32x and goes that way.

I can burn other media like Samsung at 48x. I don't care the speed thou as long as it burns the cd right.

6. diashto

diashto Member

doh.. media's stamped 32x not 52.. Digital Research Technology... it's still odd that it wont read the discs that *it* burns though.

Anyone got any ideas about that?

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

it may be that your drive will be locked on burning! so even if you close program it still doesnt play! but reboot computer and i bet it will play!

Thx...

8. diashto

diashto Member

Okay... well.. how do i fix it then?

9. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

well did it play?

and you cant! not that i know of?

Thx..

10. diashto

diashto Member

*bumpage*

Update.. tried burning with a blank-label disc that i had laying around (i think it may have been the disc that came with the burner, in fact).. and zing-zang-zoom.. burned at 48x, no problems, closed disc, and ....

was still unable to read the disc. Although Nero came back and said the disc was successfully written this time. As someone suggested, rebooting the PC works, and the disc is able to be read in the burner drive.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Hi

It can do this sometimes as i have had it!

the software locks the drive when burning and then its finicky after burn to unlock!

thats why a reboot open the drive up to use ok and removes the software doing bad things!

Thx..

12. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

A good point indeed Rotary! :)
    Long time no see buddy!