1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will stand-alone DVD players that play DVD-RW also play DVD-R?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by davidb, Jul 26, 2003.

1. davidb

davidb Member

I am still in the "study" phase in buying a DVD burner and stand-alone DVD player. I am looking at the Pioneer A06 and several stand-alone DVD players that list DVD-RW as a media supported. Should one assume that the player will also play DVD-R's even though it is not listed as supported? Additonally, I have noted some DVD specifications that indicate "DVD-RW/-R (Video Mode)". Is "Video Mode" something different or special? Any suggestions on stand-alone DVD players that have a good track record with DVD-R's?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2003
  2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Buy a Pioneer DVR106 and buy a Plu2 DVS Loader DVD player off ebay.

3. davidb

davidb Member

Gotcha on the Pioneer. What is a Plu2 DVS Loader? Ebay didn't have a listing.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

5. davidb

davidb Member

Thats a good looking unit. Is there any reason why its would cause me problems here in the US since it plays all region codes (assuming I can find a seller to ship here)? Do you have any thoughts about the "Video Mode" referenced above?***Just occured to me that this player would probably more trouble than its worth due to the probability of having to convert the electrical voltage. Just gonna keep looking for a good 110v player.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No idea what they mean by Video mode, i would presume it is just to discern between audio and video. Maybe it doesnt play DVD Audio. I don't really see a problem. European models play NTSC, its just that US models dont play PAL, so you would be ok.

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No idea what they mean by Video mode, i would presume it is just to discern between audio and video. Maybe it doesnt play DVD Audio. I don't really see a problem. European models play NTSC, its just that US models dont play PAL, so you would be ok.