1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this work?(HDD UPGRADE)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by ach81090, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ach81090

ach81090 Member

I currently have an old 1.0 xbox that i softmoded the other day. I was planing on upgrading to a 120gb or 160gb HDD, untill a saw

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=423018

Heres what im planing on doing:
    1) Install an Xenium Sodderless
    2) put new HDD in
    3)flash bios(how should i do this?)
    4)Run slayers

Will this work? If not what should i do?...and is it possible to turn the old HDD into and external usb one w/ a enclosure thing? Thanx in advance guys

2. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

hi
    Xenium is a good chip, so yea
    nice hdd (note for a 7200 rpm drive, its a good idea to increase the fan speed, you can do this either with a fan hardware mod....ie solder the black fan wire to the metal case shell of the xbox, or you can do it through a bios)
    Flashing the xenium is easy enough, get a bios (usual place ie IRC efnet xbins) make sure you get a bios LBA patched which allows for more than 137gb of the hdd to be used.
    As regards the install, Slayers will do it for you, make sure you use or burn discs your xbox can read, failing that PM me for my installer.
    The last q, yep, I have a 250gb in an external enclosure, get one thats fan cooled (a lot are) and a minimum support of USB 2.0.
    External enclosures are good for a number of things, including backup storage (xbox hard drive can fry sometimes:) just like any other) and you can use an external enclousre to put a OS on in case you have PC probs, set it to boot from USB etc, in the bios settings. Saved me once!!!
    Remember when you install the new hdd to the xbox, to make sure the jumper settings are set on "cable select" most are when you uy them, but I have come across a couple that arent.
    have fun:)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005