1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this work?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by wutflip, Mar 31, 2005.

1. wutflip

wutflip Member

If I purchase the ADVC 110 and a Firewire 1394 PCI card, will it get video and audio from VHS to my computer so I can burn it to a DVD with good quality?

Is this all I need to hook it up, besides the RCA cables and stuff?

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

You will also Need "Software" for Captureing the Video and encodeing it to Mpeg-2/DVD format and to author the encoded files to DVD...If you want to do any editing or effects then you will also need video editing Software....

Cheers

4. wutflip

wutflip Member

Minion, what software would you suggest? I just wanted to make sure that that would be the way it would setup before I bought it, which they should both be arriving this week... :)

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well it depends on what you are doing...If you are going to be doing Major editing and effects and such then a Good High end Capture/Editing program would be Good Like Vegas 5 or Premier Pro...

But if you are going to be doing simple VHS transfers without any editing then you can get away with a simple DV Capture program Like "WinDV" or "Scenalyzer Live" to capture the Video and an Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc or Procoder Xpress to encode the Captured DV Files to Mpeg-2/DVD Format and a DVD authoring Program Like DVDLab so you can add your Menu"s and Chapters and Burn the DVD.....

Pluss there are a Million other Programs out there that can do simular Things so it all depends on what your needs are....

Cheers

6. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Just to add a few notes to what Minion said...
    For a beginner, things like Vegas 5 can be overwhelming.
    You're maybe better to start with a simple encoder, such as Canopus Procoder Express, and a simpler authoring program such as Tmpgenc DVD Author.
    These two, combined with a good burning program, will get you some pretty decent DVD's.
    If you need to do more complex editing, starting with something like Vegas Movie Studio 4, or even Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3, will get you going much quicker than the higher end applications.
    It's a personal preference thing. Some people try to start with very complex apps, and get frustrated enough to give up. Others seem to grasp the complexity easier, and have the patience to work with things like Vegas 5.
    One thing I can say for sure, this hobby takes a great deal of patience, if you want it done right.

7. wutflip

wutflip Member

Is Nero a good enough burning program? I have the lastest.

8. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Yes, nero is fine. Make sure you use the "DVD Video" template.

9. siluet

siluet Member

Hi,
    i just bought the ADVC 110 and been having a little trouble capturing DVD. Does anyone know if the ADVC can get pass the Macrovision?

thanks