1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinAvi 6.3 - Won't burn AVI to DVD - need MPEG/DVD codec??? HELP!!

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by Joshh347, May 3, 2005.

1. Joshh347

Joshh347 Member

I want to burn an AVI to DVD. I convert it fine (and VERY quickly & easily compared to most other programs). But then when I go to BURN the DVD with WinAvi, I load the VOB files and stuff into the burn list and then click Burn, but it just sits there. It says its starting to Write, but it doesn't do ANYTHING. No percentage, no estimated minutes, nothing. Just sits there. I tried clicking on "view more information about the file" in the menu, and would click on the VOB files and I got a message saying something to this effect (I'm at work so I dont have the exact wording of it):

"Needs proper MPEG/DVD codec to convert files, go to www.winavi.com/codec.htm to download the files"

When I go to the link theres no page there!! What do I need to download to make this work??

Just to see if the burning aspect of the program worked, I convert AVI to VCD and burned it just perfectly onto a CD but I want to burn to DVD.

I also tried the SVCD so I could fit the movie all on one dvd, but it did the same thing as the DVD. When it came to the burning part, it just sat there, and did nothing.

MY MAIN CONCERN is about the MPEG/DVD codec for doing the AVI to DVD...

THANK YOU!!!

JOSH

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

download a program called G-spot. It is used to find out which codecs you need. Here's how to use it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  3. mooter

mooter Member

all of the codec you need are on their site!

they have updated the websute, which is why they aren't located at http://www.winavi.com/codec.htm any more

now you need to go here
    http://www.winavi.com/en/download/download.htm

download all of the codecs listed at the boittom of the page and then extract them all to

C:\Progam Files\WinAVI VideoConverter\Filter\

Now restart WinAVI and convert to DVD without problems :)

It seems that they have just renamed some of the codecs and chopped them about a bit, but I assure you they are all there for download.

4. B2D327

B2D327 Regular member

I can confirm the above statement as I had the same problem at first. Once installed to the winavi folder everything will work fine. Why they omitted the codecs in the first place makes no sense to me but it is a good program.

5. darkrad

darkrad Member

if those codec make winavi crash (immediately, it can write some byte of the .avi file then crash) is there any other way to install compatible mpeg/dvd codecs? thanks in advance

6. darkrad

darkrad Member

nobody know ?

7. mac53

mac53 Guest

Mooter...

You're wrong about that url... the correct address is: http://www.winavi.com/en/support/faq/faq_converter_63.htm

Better yet, go to:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm
    and download the FULL version.

When installing, make sure that (1) you're not on the internet so you can disable your firewall. (2) Disable the auto-protect of your anti-virus. Those of you who know how to access your "Task Manager" and are comfortable with its contents...[not recommended for everyone]...shut down any unnecessary running processes. You don't want any interferences when installing these. Caution: If you are not familiar with this process, then DO NOT attempt this! Serious problems can occur due to a simple mistake.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2005
  8. bigapples

bigapples Member

9. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

Why not just download and install FFdshow...All codec problems solved

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I have FFDShow and I'm still missing some codecs that I need. I've searched and searched and can't find it. With codecs it all depends on how the AVI file was encoded.

11. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

I agree squizzle it all depends how it was encoded in the first place ...but after installing ffdshow i have never had to download another codec. But thats just my personal experince. oh and by the way bigapples i would use DvdSanta its poo.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2005
  12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Are you saying that you don't like DVD Santa or you do like DVD Santa?

13. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

LMAO...I wouldn't use it.....ever.

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I never tried it, but I keep hearing it's crap so I probably won't.

15. garaway56

garaway56 Member

WINAVI VIDEO CONVERTER CODEC PROBLEM SOLVED.
    JUST DOWNLOAD POWER DVD BY ROXIO AND INSTALL, SIMPLE
    POWER DVD GOT ALL THE MPEG AND DVD CODECS YOU REQUIRE
    BEST OF LUCK.