1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 freeze alot, runs slow and laggy

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by bbiagllla, Mar 18, 2013.

1. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

up until friday night my laptop was running fine. I am using an Asus g73jw ROG edition laptop. The only thing i have noticed is when i load games the screen would go white for a brief second while it loaded the game then it would load game and everything was A ok.

However Friday night while playing my game in full windowed mode as i always do, the computer crashed and gave me the BSOD with a debugcode_usb_driver error of some sort. I restarted windows normally and it booted up and about 1-2 minutes later it froze. I started it into safe mode with networking and once it booted up about 1-2 minutes later it froze. I booted up into safe mode w/o networking and everything worked fine without freezes or BSOD. I went to device manager and seen a usb driver had a yellow exclamation mark. i uninstalled this and it has not returned since. after Restarting windows normal and safe mode with networking quite a few times after and it still froze everytime. sometimes when i clicked something and sometimes it froze on the welcome screen.

i read that network adapters might cause this so i unisntalled my ethernet, braodband, and wireless adapter and restarted windows normally. Though it seemed like it help for a bit the computer still froze. Thinking it might still be a wireless issue i disabled my wireless adapter and plugged in an ethernet cord. I was able to boot safe mode with networking without it freezing at all. So i tried windows normal and instead of it freezing it just took forever to load things. at one point the start menu wouldn't even let me click on things. when i could click on items they just wouldnt load no matter how many times i double clicked them.

My cpu runs at about 60-70 and spikes rarely to no higher than 76 max load which its rated to 90-100. i use cpuid monitor for temps and msiafterburner for VGA whicch runs 32 idle and 60 full game mode.

I have run my uniblue driverscanner and all drivers are up to date. I have manually downloaded new nvidia and atheros wireless adapter drivers and they don't work.

I ran tssdkiller (for rootkits and it was clean0, malware bytes, super anti spyware, reg cleaner, cc cleaner, spybot, and Avast while in safe mode. they found somethings but the one thing found was a virus. I quarantened it immediately did a restart and nothing has changed. i read somewhere avast and firefox can cause alot of freezing. I uninstalled both of them and nothing has changed.

Currently everytime i boot in windows normal mode and type in my password. the welcome words come up and then it goes into a blue screen wth just my mouse pointer. It has not moved past this since. Thinking it was hanging on a driver i have enabled the os boot log while starting up from under msconfig boot. Twice while trying to boot safe mode with networking it hung up on amddmk.something? and i restarted but it loads safe mode without networking fine.

I have been reading and researching all day everyday since friday night. I have ran sfc scan now, memory diagnostics, memtest86, antivirus that boots from thumb drive, ultimate boot cd, hard drive tests, cpu tests, and just about everything i could tihnk of or find even though i am forgetting some of them now. I have two hard drives both seagte 500 gb. They are partitioned into four drives: C:, D:, F:, and G:. I only use C:" for windows related items, anit virus programs, and anything used to debug windows. F and G are use for torrents, video games, etc... I ran a check disk on D: and it completed without any errors( D i think is my recovery drive). I schedule C: to run on next start up. I restarted my computer and once i seen it start checking i left to go out to eat tonight. I came back 1.5 hours later and it was still on 2% complete. Assuming it froze i restarted comp and canceld the second scheduled scan. I attempted to correct somethings and got some advice from my brother.

While talking to my brother we came to an agreement that it is either hardware or software (obviously) he thinks it is most likely driver related because it hangs after the welcome screen. So i restart and press F8 to get into safe mode and it freezes. i can't move the cursor up or down. I restart and get into safe mode where it randomly freezes at some point. i restart again and finally delete my nvideo 460m driver and my wireless adapter again. i restart and try to boot normal mode and it froze on the enter password screen. i rebooted and entered password but it still hung on the blue screen after welcome.
    Windows
    He decides i need to create a new profile and give it admin rights. I do this in safe mode without network and restart computer. I click other user when it loads and enter the first two letters of the name and it freezes. i restart and enter name and password for other account and it still hangs at the blue scree after welcome.

I have tried many times restore last known configuration, startup in low resolution, disable driver signatures or w/e, system recovery (which never works), system startup repair (nothing), and a few others i can't remember at the moment.

currently right now as of 1 hour ago I started a checkdisk for drive C: again and it is at 0 percent complete (6340 of 331008 file records processed).

I have run out of ideas. Please help. if there is anything you want to know if i have tried or can try let me know.

my full specs are from what i remember:
    asus g73jw-ROG laptop
    intel core i7-740qm, 1.73ghz
    nvidia geforce gtx 460m (clocked but i dont remember exactly to what; nothing outrageous)
    HDD''s 500gb + 500gb
    memory 16gb
    Windows 7 Home premium.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Perhaps if you ran one of the Linux versions from a CD that would pin it down to software or hardware inasmuch as if the Linux software runs ok on the hardware, that lets the hardware off the hook.
    Someone else would have to give a recommendation - but I've used 'Puppy' to boot and poke around the PC a few times.

3. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

so i can use puppy to load form cd and that tells me what? ill give it a try

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

only hardware not used by a live cd is the hdd

selection of linux distro's to choose from,puppy is in the listing on the right or for hdd or usb booting scroll down center of page & download slax 7.08.link to 7.08 is at very end of the write up,cliking the slax icon or right cliking open on it will give screen shot of it
    http://distrowatch.com/

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your cpu temp is to high as should be in the mid 30's to maybe high 40's. do you know anybody with an air compressor or can you get a can of compressed air to give that laptop a blowing out?

6. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

i have blown it out, repasted it, and blown out the fans again. soryr i was thinking of my wife's computer at the time since i can't get into mine. mine gets to about 64 running games and runs windows around 52 or lower from what i remember.

also this is a laptop. woulnd't it be near impossible to get a laptop to run 30-40 at max load? just wondering. i do know the card is rated at over 100 though i would never go above 89. it use to run that before i repasted

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  7. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

well i finally got puppy iso burned. im currently running it on my laptop. it seems stable and has froze yet. however i dont have a mouse because puppy either won't use my usb mouse or doesnt recognize it.

so puppy works. what does that mean as far as my laptop goes?

8. attar

attar Senior member

I think the usb mouse should be working - mine works and its also wireless - someone else chime in..

9. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

I am running a live cd version of linux. I am using the touchpad for a mouse

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

agreed mouse should be working whether wireless or wired or track ball,your bsod in first post mentioned usb issues, perhaps disabling usb in bios then boot to windows & see what happens

puppy running ok means ram,graphics,cpu,ethernet,power supply all good which only leaves hard drive & those usb ports possibly being the cause,the event viewer maybe of some help or bluescreenview

11. ddp

hard drive has bad sectors in it. re-scan the hd & let it run over night. 1 of the bad sectors is were the usb drivers is.

12. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

i was afraid of that. how do i turn of usb in the bios. i pressed f10 to enter the bios but havent seen that option yet.

13. ddp

scan for errors 1st on the hard drive, nevermind the usb til you see the scan results.

14. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

the first time i scanned it gave me now erros. even when i used ultimate boot cd. the second time it scanned to 4% and froze and after 2 hours i restarted the comp. the last time i tried to run chkdsk it sat at 0% and didnt move for 8 hours i then restarted the computer and have been running linux/parted magic. im making a clone of my drive right now. once that is done ill run a chkdsk again but how can i run a scan without accessing windows?

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

if poss remove the hard drive & place in external housing then use seagate seatools for windows (works on all hdd's) scan options under basic or use the hdd manufacturers utility

16. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

i don't have an external housing usb unit. any other ways? if i could just get it to boot into safe mode i can do it there

17. ddp

does the computer(presuming it is a desktop) you are posting on has sata ports & is the optical drive a sata drive?

18. bbiagllla

bbiagllla Regular member

i wish this was a desktop. as previously stated it is my laptop. would be alot easier if it was a desktop. id just change out drives.

i still have an hour left of cloning my hard drive assuming my external doesnt run out of space. ill try to disable usb and get into safe mode after wards.

also if it was a bad sector wouldn't it flag me in event viewer. i only know this because my desktop is currently doing that and im fixing that one in conjuction with my laptop. I had a whole slew of bad block error on the desktopf or the last two years.

Assuming windows 7 does the same i should have a bunch for my laptop which i don't have.

correct?

19. ddp

can the wife's laptop take 2 hard drives like yours does?

20. ddp

what computer are you using to post with on this site?