1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows File Name Different From Real Name

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by janlafata, May 9, 2013.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I've got a travel video that I made awhile back during vacation, but I was new at computers then and so I passed it along to a friend, who may have done something to it, then put in on my video hosting site, then I downloaded it. It plays fine and everything else and I named it Canyon Trip 2007, however when I recently re-uploaded it I notice that the hosting site has it listed as Canyon_Trip 2007.avi. When I saw that I double checked the file on my hard drive and when I right click and hit "Properties" I can see that it says "Canyon_Trip 2007.avi" instead of the name I gave it in Windows. How do I change it totally to the Windows name?

2. keebles

keebles Regular member

You actually need the .avi after the name. With out it, computers wouldn't know what to do with the file. The .avi tells your computer that is a movie file and also tells it how to play it. Each file on your computer has some sort of (.) extension to it. So for example .mp3 tells the computer that the file is music, . txt is a text document, .doc is a word document. Each one tells your computer what program to open the file with. If you remove the .avi, a computer wont know what to do with the file and then it will keep asking you what you want to open it with every time you use it.

The reason why your computer only shows Canyon_Trip 2007 is because you have it set up so the extensions are not shown. If you go under setting some where on your computer you can enable it to show them/ disable them.