1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Product Key Help!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Mike0780, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Mike0780

Mike0780 Member

well my dad came into my room and turned off my computer.. Two Things happened .. It killed the power in my computer and had a hard time getting it back.. But after I did.. It took me to the The Windows 98 Startup.. Like where you type in the info .. Like the user .. and then press cont. and it asks me for a Product key..:S very confused but anyways. I didn't Install Windows Myself.. I was just wondering If there was anyway to Retreive my Product Key if i cant access my desktop.??? really need help with this..

2. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if you bought a prebuilt, there should be a sticker on the lower side/back panels or on the bottom of the case that lists the windows key.

3. Mike0780

Mike0780 Member

Nope, Its not there theres only a model number and serial code.. Is there a program that will tell me the product code or anything other than a sticker that can help me?

4. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

i dont think so you should probably contact the company that build your pc

5. Mike0780

Mike0780 Member

well what if I just go out and buy a new windows.. like the one i have is a 98 and if i were to upgrade to vista.. would there be any problems with that?

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

if you were running 98 with no upgrades, you won't be able to run Vista. if you can't find your old key or get a new one, and you can't upgrade or buy a new computer, then Linux is for you.

*edit*
    what brand is it? there should be a windows key somewhere, either on a panel (inside or out) or in the paperwork somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  7. Mike0780

Mike0780 Member

first off... It was upgraded.. or downgraded.. or something when i first got it it was a 98plus or some dumb thing like that or it could have been second edition.. but anyways.. whats linux?

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

it's an alternative operating system with dozens of variants, most of them free.

9. Mike0780

Mike0780 Member

so i can just put in the cd and it will act as an operating system?

10. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, that's a live version. but that won't install anything on your hard drive and you'll need a cd every time.

most versions of linux you just install on your hard drive, in place of Windows or other operating systems.

there's is a whole sub-forum devoted to linux on here, plus thousands of helpful sites on the net. if you're interested in linux, please search and read for a while before asking any more questions, as all the basic stuff has been answered a million times before.

11. Mike0780

Mike0780 Member

I just wanna no if there is anyway of getting windows back on my pc its a great computer and i put alot of money into getting it the way i wanted it.. there is no possible way of upgrading to a better windows operating system such as windows 2000 or Me or Xp or anything.. but WINDOWS

12. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you *should* have a windows 98 key, especially if you downgraded from windows 98se to windows 98. it's just a matter of you finding it, wherever you've placed it.

if you want windows, tell us your system specs. simply because it's a win98 machine, i can tell you off the bat you should be able to run windows 2000 and could probably run XP, albeit mighty slowly. but again, we need system specs.

13. Mike0780

Mike0780 Member

how do u expect me to get those if it wont let me into my desktop?

14. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

well, you should either know them by heart or have the paperwork to state it. do you have any of the original papers from when you bought the pc?