1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows SP2

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Xsilver, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Xsilver

Xsilver Regular member

Since i have seen you can only get SP2 via the automatic updates feature built into windows i thought i would turn it on (Having turned it off because it was always pi55ing me off) Ever since i turned it on my broadband has been slow "well duh" you might say but it has been like it for three days and i have turned the auto update feature off again and reconnected to the net and when i check the status of the connection it is still downloading stuff at least 300mb the first go then 600mb over night. And does anyone know how big service SP2 is??? From the look of it Windows XP is so crap SP2 must really be a whole new OS

2. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i have not seen anything about the only way to get the sp2 is by auto update . i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get it by manual update . i know microsoft recommends using auto update but that shouldnt be the only way to get it . im not 100% sure on this so if anyone wants to correct me feel free . im not using auto update myself . i have had problems in the past with some of the updates and now i manually update . i have always been able to get the updates manually without using auto update .

3. Doofy

Doofy Regular member

As far as i am aware SP2 isn't available for download just yet. I did read somewhere it will be available on the 25th of this month, I have installed service pack 2 and all i can say is, it went like a charm and is very stable.

4. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

that is very good to hear. i hope all goes well for me. i think there is a place to download the full version of the service pack right now on microsofts site . i think its for people on networks . im pretty sure i read that on the microsoft news groups . i will be waiting till the 25th .

5. Yordan

Yordan Guest

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    If anyone is interested this is the link to order your free CD containig SP2. For me it does not work as my system is Athlon64 and there is a conflict with SP2 which causes my PC to keep rebooting without being able to start XP - that has been aknowledged by Microsoft. Looks like they`ll have to release a service pack for SP2...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Athlon64 3400+
    1024 DDR
    NEC 2510a[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2004
  6. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

Just dl and installed windows xp sp3 hummmm.

7. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

plese excuse re post after sp3 installed restart computer go to afterdwan.com make a post try to surf
    around had 3 crashes ... drwtsn32.exe , appcompat.txt,
    iexplorer.exe.mdmp, appcompat.txt with that one as well. guess I am helping workout the bugs already ..lol thought it maybe interesting to know sp3 is out there.

8. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

service pack 2 is the latest service pack available , ive never heard of service pack 3 for windows xp ! maybe that is the reason why your computer isnt running so well , i think you may have been tricked into downloading some thing that does not exist . so if you are running some thing called service pack 3 , its probably a virus because service pack 2 is the latest release from microsoft !

9. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

came from ms update site after they ck puter.

hummm so how I know for sure?

10. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

service pack 2 is the latest service pack available , ive never heard of service pack 3 for windows xp

went back to windows update view History:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3, English Version
    this is a copy and past from the site.

11. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Arnold2 ~~

Click Start --- Run -- type in winver and OK ----

This will give you the exact version of XP you are using together with the confirmation you have installed SP2 . PAY attention to the date shown for example 040803-2158 means 2004 August 03 - issue 2158
    Dates prior to july 10th indicate RPC and beta testing versions of SP2.

As to the ""Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3,"" -- that is not needed on your PC and you should uninstall it -- or do a System Restore to get your PC back to where it was .

12. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

Thank you, That is what it says.

Thank you ...

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 is out. going back..

13. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

Have to learn to live with it. can not go back for some reason unknown to me. Not even the check point.

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3

informations:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3, English Version
    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0 Service Pack 3 resolves various issues found after the initial release of Microsoft .NET Framework 1.0. These include both security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.
    Help and support
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=867461