1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows stuck at start-up screen

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by usernamex, Oct 20, 2007.

1. usernamex

usernamex Member

Everytime I try to restart windows (XP), i cannot get it to start properly. the only thing that shows up properly is the desktop image, no task bar, no icons, nothing. i'm using my laptop to write this. Please help.

2. usernamex

usernamex Member

can ssomeone please help me|?

3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey, did you try to start in safe mode? What were you doing when the problem started?

4. usernamex

usernamex Member

F8 doesnt do the trick, none of the options. I can't do anything.

5. steimy

steimy Active member

So, when you start you have nothing that you can access as far as your programs, control panel or anything? Just a windows picture on your screen? If you can access programs you can doing a system restore to a point that you know was before this problem happened.

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Can you start task manager on the empty desktop?

7. jony218

jony218 Guest

Did you do any type of hard drive swapping, partition editing, etc?

With windows xp, sometimes when the computer hangs at the log-on screen, it's usually a sign that the registry can not find the next start up files.

My recommendation is to download the demo of "paragon justboot corrector" use that to bootup your computer. Verify that your system drive is labeled c: and wasn't changed to something else. For instance if your system drive is labled d: then the registry will not be able to complete the boot cycle because it'll be looking for the startup files in c: drive.

demo here
    http://www.justboot.us/boot_corrector.htm

8. steimy

steimy Active member

you can also try using your windows disc and the recovery console to try and fix the boot problems.

9. usernamex

usernamex Member

Absolutely nothing on the desktop, no icons or taskbar, just the desktop wallapaper. Can't access control panel or anything, the windows key on the keyboard doesnt open up the start meanu, nor does ctrl+alt+del work. I do not have a recovery disc. Is there anyway to rent one or buy one? I'm stuck and I cannot do anything. Thanks.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

so, you do not even have a copy of Windows handy? That would be the disc that has a "fix windows" option. It will let you install a copy or fix the current copy.

If all else fails you may have to install a new copy formating the hard drive. You will lose everything but if you can not fix this it is already lost anyway.

There is another disc you can try to get a hold of online or somewhere called Teckiez Toolkit (hope i spelled it right). It is a boot disc and will boot up in DOS before windows loads and give you a lot of options as far as fixing and checking different problems. You just stick it in and restart the PC and it will load up as long as your DVD drive is set to load first, or in DOS before windows load you usually have a small message that will say boot from CD or something along those lines.

11. usernamex

usernamex Member

I have a copy of Vista Home Premium that was installed on my laptop, but the manufacturer (or whomever is responsible) didn't include a serial number, so I cannot install it on my desktop.

12. steimy

steimy Active member

well, i can tell you that you can get copies of Windoes XP and XP Pro easily on the internet but for that you will have to do some research on your own.