1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Won't load

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by ronjoe1, Mar 2, 2007.

1. ronjoe1

ronjoe1 Member

Hey all,

I am having a problem starting up Windows XP home on my computer. Everything was fine. I bought a new DVD-rom & DVD burner. I shut down my computer as normal to install the drives, then started to load up windows. Everything went fine until I got to my password. My mouse was working (but I couldn't click anything) and my keyboard wasn't working atall! So I held down the power button on the computer and shut it down. As I tried to load again after checking my connections it went to the XP load screen for a second or two, then a quick blue screen (not even long enough for me to get any information) and it restarts itself. I tried going into safe mode, tried selecting my last known good configuration. I tried disconnecting the new drives but all to no avail!

This is very frustrating as you can imagine, so any help here would be magnificent!!!

However, please don't tell me that i'm really screwed & have to buy new, that would just bother me....lol!

Thanks in advance folks!

2. kateman

kateman Regular member

iam no expert when it comes to hardware so take my opinion with a grain of salt:

might have done something when you got the cd/dvd drives in there.

it might be worth taking it out and see what happens.

or it may be that it needs a reformat.

iam not sure but thats what i think

3. ronjoe1

ronjoe1 Member

Thanks. I tried the whole taking out the new drive's but it made no difference. I tried swapping out my two 512mb sticks or ram, but again, no difference.

I would love to be able to reformat, but the last time I tried that (a few months back), my floppy drive (that I bought for this purpose alone) woouln't recognise my SATA driver's. So I gave up on that.

Anything else?

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Ok, short question, have you checked the jumper settings on the new drives (one master, one slave, if on thhe same IDE), and have you checked your BIOS to see if they are recognised at all ?

5. ronjoe1

ronjoe1 Member

Yeah. All that stuff is good. I put the original drive back in to see if it was a problem with the new drives but even with the old one back in, it does the same thing. And they were recognised by my BIOS when I first installed them.

6. proto123

proto123 Member

I had a similiar problem with that extremely annoying blue screen error.
    Most blue screen errors are caused through hardware. On mines it was the 4 pin molex power connector to the hard drive. One of the pins I presume were not in proper contact with the hard drive, in the process sufficient power was not achieved. I changed it and it works, no errors. I recommend you try a different molex power connector to you hard drive. Good Luck with that blue screen