1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP Pro won't regognize blank Dual Layer DVD=R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Funkdok, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Funkdok

Funkdok Member

I currently have a PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 which came with my DELL Dimension 8400 PC and blank dual layer Verbatim DVD+R DL dvd's However when i put them into the DVD drive, the computer reads these blank DVD's as cd-r's in a CDUDF format only showing that there is 703mb of free space instead of the suggested 8.5GB that the disc is suppossed to have. According to the manufacturer this DVD drive is dual layer capable with DVD+R DL dvd's.

Are there any settings i have to change in XP Pro, do i need to quick format these blank DVD's before use, if so with or without compression?

TIA

Gary

Any help would be greatly appreiciated,

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Your drive is a dual layer burner and since it came with the computer should be configured properly but something is out of wack there. You can try removing the drive in your device manager, then re-boot and let Windows reinstall the drive properly. This sometimes helps. DO NOT try to format that dual layer disc. It is a one time use disc so if you try to format it thats the same as writing to it. Its not a re-writable disc that needs formated.

Jerry

3. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi Funkdok,

When did you order your Dell 8400 ?

Mine should arrive this week, (Still on the truck) so should I assume I will get the Philips DVD8631 too ?

I tought Dell had Sony drives in there boxes...

Guess I will find out this week :)

4. Funkdok

Funkdok Member

Cougar:

I ordered mine early december and i've had no problems with the drive until now. Each time i put in a dvd+R DL disc it is only reading as a blank cd-r with 703MB of free space. I"ve searched continuously for anwsers and to no avail have come up with nothing. I"ve contacted Dell's customer support, "Joke" and they just keep telling me that they are really concerned about the problem, and tell me to look at the user manual. They themselves aren't even familiar with the product they are packaging with their systems as an option nor its features which is discouraging.

Can anyone please clarify for me that this is a genuine Double Layer DVD writer drive?

I've updated the firmware to version B10 that is also on Dell's website and still nothing.

Any more suggestions?

TIA!