1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows xp with sp2

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rebis, Jan 12, 2005.

1. rebis

rebis Member

bought new computer with windows xp service pack 2 preinstalled. Many programs will not work with sp2. Have gone to different forums to see if I can remove sp 2 and all I can find is uninstall directions if you installed it yourself. Can it be removed without damaging anything, or am I stuck with it?

2. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I think there's several fixes for the non working programs, but anyway, can't you do a full reformat, OR, uninstall the Service Pack using Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs?

If you didn't make a "backup" so you could uninstall Service Pack 2, I think your only option would be to reformat.

3. rebis

rebis Member

does not show on add/remove as it was pre installed. Even if I reformat my recovery disk will reinstall it.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

than take it back to store where you bought it & have them fix it as still under warranty???

5. rebis

rebis Member

Not really the answer I was looking for. Computer is not broken just wanted to know if anybody knew how to remove when preinstalled. Will contact manufacturer.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you should deal with SP2, and not try and change it. IDK what programs you are using, but as long as they are current there are upgrades and patches for them to work. I haven't had any problems with sp2 on my machine. It provides much more safety features.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't un-install sp2. Thats what PCWorld claims anyways.

7. rebis

rebis Member

thanks, one of the programs that isn't working is dvd xcopy xpress. I 'll take your suggestion and leave sp2 alone. Thanks again