1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WinXp- Crashes running DVD2AVI/TMPGEnc/ReMpeg2

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by ottoni, Jan 18, 2003.

1. ottoni

ottoni Member

Every program I try to run, after a few minutes I get a Windows error saying the program needs to close. If I close the window the program closes. If I leave it up I can complete a DVD2AVI file however when I attempt to run TMPGEnc or ReMPEG2, which take about 3 hours on my PC, after about 1 1/2 hours my PC reboots.
    I have a clean install of XP.
    Athlon XP 2600+
    1 Gb DDR Mem
    Gobs of disc space.Any ideas? Does XP not like these programs? (I am using the latest versions of all of them).

2. ASutton

ASutton Guest

I have a very simular machine setup and the exact same thing happens! Please let me know if you get any joy. I won't buy this software until this is sortable.

I used the software a couple of months ago on another machine and it worked fine!

Good luck!

Andy.

3. twinkie80

twinkie80 Guest

im haveing the exact same problem on the same setup except i was running these programs without a hitch for months. then about a month ago TMPGEnc started crashing windows. i couldnt find out what was wrong so i eventually formated my drive and did a clean install of windows and im still having the same problem. but now dvd2avi is also crashing. anyone think its posablly from windows updates because those were the only changes to my system that i know about...

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It sounds Like it Could Be a Overheating issue ,..Encodeing is Very CPU Intensive ,Probably the most CPU Intensive thing you can do with your PC so after 90 minutes of encodeing your CPU could be getting very Hot and Just Shutting down because it is Too Hot...Stock Athlon XP Heatsinks Barely cut it for Cooling so getting an after Market Cooler is allways a good idea when building an Athlon XP System...You should get one of those Temperature monitoring programs to see what temperature your CPU is when it shuts down ,If it is over 50 celcius then this could be your problem....

5. twinkie80

twinkie80 Guest

i dont think over heating is the problem with my system because the programs used to run fine. i ddi find out that dvd2avi only crashes when trying to covert the audio to a wav if i leave that setting alone and it outputs several ac3 files it doesnt crash, but tmpgenc doesnt suport that format i am curently trying a new program after dvd2avi (headac3he) to see if that will convert those files to wav but still have no idea about tnpgenc yet. i appreciate any input and help u could give
    thanx.

6. twinkie80

twinkie80 Guest

ok i give up every audio encoder i use crashes within 5 min of use tried besweet and a couple others i really think its somthing to do with a win update maybe media player9 but somthing is missing or interfearing with ecoding audio files

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Headac3he should work Cuz I use it all the Time...You can try a System restore to before you had the problem ,Like before you did the Updates??

8. twinkie80

twinkie80 Guest

just got done with that and it still doesnt work. do u know of a program that encodes video like tmpgenc but accepts ac3 audio?

9. onestop

onestop Regular member

Yo folks, I am having similar system abilities and also using DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc Plus for many movies and My PC is still running strong. The reason of TMPGEnc Plus not able to open some of your DVD2AVI is because TMPGEnc Plus only has VFAPI up to DVD2AVI version 1.76. Try using the older DVD2AVI 1.76 and not the latest version and I believe that will eliminate the "not recognise file" problem.

10. twinkie80

twinkie80 Guest

well after exploring all the possible software problems i decided that minion was probally right about the over heating. as soon as i turned my pc on in the morning i ran dvd2avi and it ran fine but wouldnt run if my pc was on for awhile. i took my pc apart and cleaned it for about an hour (alot of dust in there) and sure enough everything works fine now.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I don"t want to say I told you so But "I told you so" ..LOL ..Well I"m glad it worked out ,Poeple should Clean out there PC cases every few months because Dust is a Computers worst Nightmare, It clogs up your Fans and heatsinks so that air can"t Flow over the CPU Efficiently ,and haveing at least one Case Fan is essential for airflow in the case..athlons are Notorius for overheating so it is good to get a Third Party heatsink/Fan for extra cooling ,I just Picked up a few ThermalTake X Blower Coolers for a couple Athlon PC"s I was Building and I got these for $12 each ,These Coolers have a Big Blower on them instead of a Fan which makes them very Quiet and it Blows the air in a Totnado Pattern so it quickly blows away hot air without haveing to Push as Much Air, and they have a Manual Controll Knod that takes up a PCI Slow used to Adjusting the Fan speed..These are some of the best low Cost Athlon Cooling systems I have tried and would recomend anyone with an Athlon Stock cooler to get one ...Check it out here:
    http://www.makeitsimple.com/article.php?sid=1226

12. randis

randis Member

I am experiencing a similar (but probably not the same) problem running TMPGEnc. Whenever I start it, I immediately get a Windows pop-up telling me the program needs to close.

This keeps happening to me both under Windows 2K pro and XP pro. Uninstalling and re-installing TMPGEnc effects the situation, but only slightly: for the first couple of times I run the prog after a re-install, I may be able to use it for about five minutes before it crashes. And then it's back to crashing at startup again...

My computer is a Celeron 2GHz and the TPMGEnc version is 2.5.

Ideas, anyone?

13. twinkie80

twinkie80 Guest

it really sounds like the same problem try cleaning out the inside of your pc. tmpgenc did the same exact thing too me.

14. randis

randis Member

I open my computer at least once every two weeks, so there really is no accumulated dust or dirt inside. Plus the running temperatures of the system are normal, the Celeron probably does not heat up as much as an Athlon.

But who knows, these are computers after all...

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Actually Celerons and P-4"s run Very cool compared to Athlons ,I have My P-4 2.53ghz CPU Overclocked to 2.8ghz and I use the standard Heatsink and one Case Fan and my temp rarely ever gets higher than 30 Celcius were an Athlons Normal Running Temp can be anywere from 30 to 50 Celcius ,This is Probably mostly due to the Very In-efficient design of the Athlon CPU ,with an Athlon the Heatsink makes contact with only a Small part of the Center of the CPU were the P-4/Celeron"s whole top of the CPU makes contact with the heatsink which transfers heat much more Quickly Plus Athlons use a little More Voltage than a Intel which causes a little Higher Heat.....Cheers

16. gfh

gfh Member

I am having the same problem with TMPGEnc, namely random crashes while encoding my AVI files created in Windows Movie Maker 2. I also have a Celeron CPU. Is this the common thread in this thread? Could it be that this software doesn't work so good with non-Pentium cpu's?

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t think it has anything to do with Celeron CPU"s Cuz Celeron"s and Pentiums use Basicly the same Architecture and in Most Cases the exact Same Chip But slightly Modified..The Fastest Celeron"s Right Now (1.7ghz - 2.8ghz) Use the Willamette or Northwood Core, which is the same as the Pentium 4, accept they modified it to have 25% of the L2 Cache at 128kb were the P-4 has either 256kb or 512kb...The Older Celeron 3 used the Coppermine Core as well as the P-3...I think it is a combination Problems like Little Bugs in Tmpgenc , and Problems with Codecs as Tmpgenc does not Like the XviD Codec at all and doesn"t Like Compressed Audio and doesn"t Like Type 1 DV-AVI and only Likes a few Type 2 DV Codecs...I have Found if you have problems with Tmpgenc Crashing on you or Not accepting Certain Files that it should accept then what allmost allways Works is you Frameserve the File to Tmpgenc, this way The Frameserver Decodes the File instead of Tmpgenc and feeds tmpgenc uncompressed Video which it handles no problem because it does not have to access a Codec to decode the File...The easiest way to Frameserve would be to use "Virtual-Dub" and a More advanced Frameserver that has more features and is Faster is AVISynth...This will work in Most cases unless there is a problem with the File it"s self....Cheers

18. Buik

Buik Regular member

Twinkie 80 Might be on to something folks. I am not a conspiracy nut, but would not put it past MS to fiddle with peoples PC's with its online updates. Had two computers go haywire after allowing MS to install critical updates over the net. With Ms's push for DRM, anti-piracy etc. It would not surprise me. Had to reformat one drive. Was able to save faster system but can't get PCI IDE controller card to work. Have not worked too hard on getting it back tho as I'm able to back up DVD's with switching some things around.

19. gfh

gfh Member

I stopped trying to convert the DV AVI files that I was recording from Windows Movie Maker 2. Instead I record them as 'high quality video' (if I remember the name correctly) and then encode that with TMPGEnc. That works fine and the end result appears to be of equal quality as obtained from conversion of the uncompressed AVI file. Best of all TMPGEnc doesn't croak part way through.

20. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you rendered your Files as TYPE 2 DV-AVI files then Tmpgenc shouldn"t have a problem..Tmpgenc seems to have no problem with DV Codecs Like the Mainconcept VFW DV Codec or the Sony VFW DV Codec or the Panasonic VFW DV Codec and these are all Type 2 DV codecs..You can get allmost every codec there is on this site for free ...
    http://dshow.narod.ru/

Cheers